SailNet Community banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen light filter in through the hull of several boats. But I was on a Gib'Sea 33 today and took the following two pictures. One is with the flash and it looks normal. The other is without the flash and you can see how much light is coming right through the hull and through the carpet.
Does this indicate a particularly light hull layup is is direct sunlight on the outside and nearly dark inside going to show up like this.
The dark picture doesn't even do justice to how much light got through. I was amazed.

Attachments

·
Registered
85 Posts
Perfectly normal. In fact on some rather heavily layed up boats with no paint on the inside you can actually distinguish waves rippling by on the outside of the hull. The best way to block the effect is use heavy paint or other covering on the inside. Just like painting over a window and blocking the light out.

·
Back to just the Jon boat
941 Posts
That light I have seen before.
I don't like the kinked hose much, nor the splintered hole for the screw.

·
Somewhat Senior Member
619 Posts
Freaked me the first time I saw it on my own boat, my first boat, but it is absolutely normal. No concern at all. BTW, mine is a Maine made boat (USA) so this is not exclusive to "French Boats" as Sailormann says.

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
That's because the human eye is remarkably adaptive to even fairly low light levels, and the camera isn't. For your camera to see it the same way you did, you'd need to use exposure compensation and open it up about two stops. :)
I've seen light filter in through the hull of several boats. But I was on a Gib'Sea 33 today and took the following two pictures. One is with the flash and it looks normal. The other is without the flash and you can see how much light is coming right through the hull and through the carpet.
Does this indicate a particularly light hull layup is is direct sunlight on the outside and nearly dark inside going to show up like this.
The dark picture doesn't even do justice to how much light got through. I was amazed.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
When I was a kid, I used to watch the bow wave from the vee berth of our old Shark.. Pretty cool, I thought.

David

·
1,000 Posts
French boats......'nuff said ;)
Don't be mean..you know that's not true..it happens to all boats, even made in US.

The light one sees thru is not an indication of a weak or bad hull..fg is not completely opaque.

Thin hulls today are as good and strong as the old shoe hulls from yesteryear, lighter and sail better...

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
If any of you are confused by a post defending something French, you must know that it is the French people that Gui has a problem with... after all they're the ones who filled his boat with water... and that he actually loves French sailboats, with the Amels being his favorites. :)

Don't be mean..you know that's not true..it happens to all boats, even made in US.

The light one sees thru is not an indication of a weak or bad hull..fg is not completely opaque.

Thin hulls today are as good and strong as the old shoe hulls from yesteryear, lighter and sail better...

·
1,000 Posts
Dog..it's not that I like the French boats or not..and hate the Amel by the way..

It's the unfunded attack to French boats ,without reason, I didn't agree.

If he had said German or US or Canadian I would have said the same thing...nothing personal..really

·
Registered
5,856 Posts
I don't admit to this very often but, I own a French built Bendy toy. We bought her new in 1999. Yes I can see light in some places in the hull.

She has done everything that we have asked of her. Only problems we ever had was with the water heater and autopilot. The boat was designed by Groupe Finot. I love sailing past other boats when I giving up 10 feet or more of water line.

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
I know that... I was just poking fun at you since you're stuck back in the US and on Sailnet... instead of with your family in Portugal. :) No fun to do it when you're not here to appreciate it. :)
Dog..it's not that I like the French boats or not..and hate the Amel by the way..

It's the unfunded attack to French boats ,without reason, I didn't agree.

If he had said German or US or Canadian I would have said the same thing...nothing personal..really

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Maybe they should just make a boat out of clear lexan just get it over with.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts