SailNet Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
139 Posts
Reaction score
May want to look into some kind of a preventer setup. Others will know more about this than me but the idea is, a preventer will prevent the boom from an accidental jibe (great) BUT if I understand correctly, the preventer can also keep the boom locked in position when there isn't enough wind to fill the mainsail but the boat is still rolling around. I'm considering setting one up, it happens a fair amount to me out here that I'll be in waves with no wind, and it sucks having the boom gear crash around from side to side.

For now though I just fire up the engine whenever the wind dies.

· Registered
139 Posts
Reaction score
Sailing requires wind. Believe me I've tried to get more out of my boat in conditions like your original post stated (calm or <3kts). Easing backstay, outhaul, and halyard tension. Rudder skulling I did in sunfish when I was a kid it worked kinda but even in that light boat with light me in it, with calm winds I was stuck until a puff came by. In my boat now nothing seems to make much of a difference no wind=no go. Like I said the preventer is probably the next upgrade I will make for light-air sailing so I can at least wait it out longer before going nuts. If I had a code zero or some gargantuan sail it would help but that's more money.

It may seem completely uninteresting to you, firing up the motor ... to me, when I've got a current moving me backwards and waves are causing the gear to crash around the boat I think going to the iron genny is the prudent thing to do.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.