SailNet Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
981 Posts
Yes Rich,...that''s the general conclusion of my 32 years of boatbuilding study/work....the stays are much better conductors and run a straighter course.The copper grounding would be of a fair dimension, and left unpainted under the waterline and connect directly to stay. The best would be as it was done with full on external chainplates bolted right onto the outside of the hull. In emergencies a guy can shackle a length of chain to the turnbuckle and dangle a few deet of length inti the water and leave it.A vessel underway could do the same. It is a good idea to not bond anything from the upper cabin to the engine/shaft grounding.A bolt of lightning can blow shoot your prop like a torpedo if it takes an arc from the mast to the motor to the shaft.One thing for sure, you Can take a shot and live or you can blow the bottom right out of your boat......

·
Registered
981 Posts
I was under the impression that a ion dissapator had to be grounded to a ground shoe can you explain or do you just attach it to top of mast?

·
Registered
981 Posts
SO IT SEEMS,.....that after all is said and done; as to be expected, there is no single answer; and thus, I revert to the basis for my maritime trades and the integral foundation for ALL installations I do, and sailors at large do well to make this their NUMBER ONE motto......cover all the bases, leave nothing to chance,overbuild 10/20%, the SEA has no mercy and last but not least....Lifes a Reach, then You jybe...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts