SailNet Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's such a pain to step the mast and launch a Lightning every time you want to go for a sail. I have access to a mooring and thought I'd just leave the boat on that. There's a pad eye on the bow (to attach the trailer winch strap) and I thought I'd just use it to tie off to the mooring. Anyone else keep a Lightning on a mooring? Do you use the winch pad eye?

·
Master Mariner
8,968 Posts
Is your boat self bailing or will you need a battery and pump?

·
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)
3,217 Posts
lightnings are only selfbailing on the move. Otherwise they are just a big dinghy and will fill when it rains (until the internal floatation is all that is keeping her afloat)

I would invest in a full length cover from stem to stern to keep the rain out (and the birds off)

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
they are pretty light and will blow around a lot in stormy weather or strong winds. If you are around to beach her before the weather comes in, you may be OK.

And as Art says, they are open boats and will need a cover to NOT fill with water.

Best of luck

·
Master Mariner
8,968 Posts
It has two self-bailing scuppers that can be opened or closed.
I thought so, but with the newer ones? Anyway, even with a good cover, you'll need a battery, bilge pump and solar panel to keep the battery charged, if you want to put it on a mooring. That's a lot of stuff to invest in and that could go wrong. Wouldn't it be simpler to find an easier way to rig and unrig your mast? I've seen posts on here about quick release fittings for the stays and shrouds on small boats like yours.

·
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)
3,217 Posts
I know when I had my Gp14.. I belonged to a yacht Club that had a crane just for pulling smaller boats out of the water.. mast stepped and all. They would drop it on your trailer and you could take it across the road to a "mooring lot" just the way it was.

·
Tartan 27' owner
5,241 Posts
Uh, the scuppers will only drain water from the boat when it is moving at top speed. The rest of the time they are just holes in the boat and will let water in.
That said, I kept my Lightning on a mooring in a very protected harbor on Long Island Sound. I installed a pad eye on the bow anchored to a piece of wood I cut to fit the stem. I got a 50# mushroom, some chain & some line for the mooring.
Battery, bilge pump & solar panel are all great ideas for a keel boat but not for a small sport boat. A cover would have been a good thing to have but I just checked it every week, or after every heavy rain and manually pumped it out with bucket, sponge & manual pump.
If you are thinking of mooring in salt water you will need to put anti-fouling paint on the bottom.
Lightnings are normally "dry sailed", meaning they do not stay on the water full time and are only launched when it is time to race or sail. Easy to do if you have access to a crane.
If you have no crane to use the next best thing would be to find a place where you could keep your Lightning with it's mast up while on the trailer with a launch ramp nearby (no overhead wires etc). If you can't find a place with this set up then mooring it is the way to go.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts