SailNet Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought Lightning hull 9369. If anyone's interested I can post pictures.
Meanwhile, I have a couple of questions pertaining to the rigging. First, there are two halyards on the forward side of the mast. One is right next to the forestay and exits above the gooseneck. The other is slightly higher on the mast and exits way down near the base of the mast. Which is the jib, and which is the spin?

Second, I've never seen a jib sheet set up like this. How does the jib sheet rig and operate?

I'd be most appreciative if any lightning sailors here can help me out with explanations or diagrams.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you 030. I've actually seen that diagram on the ILCA, but I need a little more detail on the jib. Apparently there are two ways of rigging the jib sheets,
and it involves several sets of blocks. I wish there were an owner's forum for Lightnings; it's not a very straightforward boat.

·
Tartan 27' owner
5,238 Posts
bluetick,
I owned a Lightning for a few years.
Yes, the jib sheet can be routed between the shrouds & mast (for upwind sailing) OR outside the shrouds (for off the wind sailing).
My boat also had what I will call a Cunningham for the jib which pulled down the leading edge of the jib - giving better shape.
Your jib halyard should exit the mast below the fore stay.
Spin halyard should exit the mast above the fore stay.
Lots of controls on a Lightning rigged for racing - took me some time to figure it all out too.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Thank you 030. I've actually seen that diagram on the ILCA, but I need a little more detail on the jib. Apparently there are two ways of rigging the jib sheets,
and it involves several sets of blocks. I wish there were an owner's forum for Lightnings; it's not a very straightforward boat.
LIGHTNINGS

Check out this site. LOTS of info esp under the resources tab.

Fun boat, has all the strings to pull that a big boat has. I learned to sail 40 years ago on a wooden Lightning. In the process of restoring one now.

CALEB.
My boat also had what I will call a Cunningham for the jib which pulled down the leading edge of the jib - giving better shape.
I believe those are called TWINGS... usually used on spinnaker gear but can be used to tweak the angle of pull on a jib sheet.

·
Registered
674 Posts
BLUETICK: THere is a drum that the centerboard control line winds around to give you purchase. You should be able to cleat it off so the board is in any position you want, however you're probably going to want it all the way down while beating and close reaching, all the way up any other time. Very few instances where you'd want it part way down. But find the HINTS that are online to give you more info.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
SailorDave,

There's a block and a cam cleat on the port side, toward the aftmost part of the centerboard well. Is that the only control for the centerboard? It's on the trailer right now, so I'm guessing that I simply release that line from the cleat and let the centerboard lower (while holding the line for control). Is that right?

·
Tartan 27' owner
5,238 Posts
bluetick,
the rigging arrangement on my Lightning for the centerboard was fairly complex. A line ran from up in the bow to the stern and there may even have been a drum that sailordave mentions. The point is: the center board weighs around 250# so it needs some fairly serious mechanical advantage/purchase to move it up or down.
I suppose I am saying that I don't remember exactly how the lines are routed for the enter board. d'oh!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts