SailNet Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Administrator
5,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm adding a boat to the Next Boat list that has gone around most of the world, sailed to the remote south Atlantic islands that are on my list, is currently on my side of the Atlantic so all good so far...but has twice been struck by lightning.

This means either the boat is cursed or the chances of it being struck again are nil.

At the top of the listing it mentioned getting struck and I thought "Great. That's over with." But in the list of electronics it said that it was struck twice and I thought "Huh."

On the positive side, the electronics are new.

Everything else being OK, should I keep it on the list? Unlike the U.S. real estate industry, there probably are no disclosures that a boat seller has to make so I could conceivably buy a boat that was struck by lightning ten times and never know.

·
Old as Dirt!
3,487 Posts
...Unlike the U.S. real estate industry, there probably are no disclosures that a boat seller has to make so I could conceivably buy a boat that was struck by lightning ten times and never know.
One can require full disclosure. See the attached. PM me and I will send you a copy of the file.

Attachments

Reactions: Donna_F

·
Administrator
5,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, HyLyte. I think I do remember something like that in our paperwork when we bought our current boat. I was too excited to do much more than sign my name. Now, with more on the line, I'm thinking about stuff like that. Do you know, what if the boat is purchased outside of the U.S. as ours probably will be, is that provided depending on the country?

·
Old as Dirt!
3,487 Posts
Thanks, HyLyte. I think I do remember something like that in our paperwork when we bought our current boat. I was too excited to do much more than sign my name. Now, with more on the line, I'm thinking about stuff like that. Do you know, what if the boat is purchased outside of the U.S. as ours probably will be, is that provided depending on the country?
Donna--

The illustrated disclosures are something a Buyer can require of a Seller as part of a Seller's Representations and Warranty's in a transaction. To the best of my knowledge, such disclosure requirements are rarely used by boat brokers although they should be (IMHO). I/We cobbled these up and delivered them to the broker(s) that represented us when we purchased our boat(s) for presentation to the Seller/Seller's broker. I was told they were "unnecessary" to which I responded they were only unnecessary to the brokers and/or the Seller(s) if he/they didn't want to sell the boat to us. These Rep's and Warranty's give a buyer an avenue for recourse against a Seller if the buyer discovers the Seller has misrepresented the yacht after the closing of the sale of the boat. Whether such right of recourse would be of value in a country other than the US would depend upon how stringent property rights, good faith and fair dealing are viewed by the civil authorities in the locale. In no case would I complete a transaction without the document as its mere presentation may dissuade a Seller being less than forthright.

FWIW...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts