SailNet Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Just started looking for a liveaboard myself, and thought I'd ask here from folks who DO live aboard, how do you like where you live?

If you love it, see any boats for sale near you?!

·
Registered
208 Posts
Redondo Beach, CA . No big-enough-to-live-on-in-available-slip-sized boats.

But lots for sale over 30', and lots of open recreational-use slips under 30'

Oh, love living on a boat in socal, I have everything I could want.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
I do love where I live aboard,- I'm on that Maine to Florida and the Bahamas list! I recently went on a tour with my son-in-law to look at about 18 boats in Florida that appeared to be potential liveaboards in the 35K to 50K range. We made a list of ten factors that we could rank from 0 to 1.0 - keel configuration, through-hulls, layout, engines, deck accessories, rigging, accessories below, hull/deck structure, electronics & wiring and aesthetics. Out of the 18 ten were not worth our time in evaluation. The remaining eight ran from .74 to 9.0 and my daughter & son-in-law are having the 9.0 surveyed this coming weekend. We cruise away often, but keep our home port in the Saint Johns River south of Jacksonville, Florida. This is a casual area without the big flashy "Tiki-bar" resort marinas and it offers some good tropical storm protection with protected day sailing and lower slip prices. I'm also a great fan of moving about and I'm fond of many other places too,- I just don't do well with cold winters! Good luck with your search!

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
We lived aboard in Maine since 2010 and loved it. We are now cruising full time and exploring Nova Scotia.

·
snake charmer, cat herder
2,650 Posts
cruising mexico.. if i didnt love it i would move on, as is my reason for living in a sailboat...lol
there are many boats for sale in west coast mexico and sea of cortez..lol
this is one place where dreams die. therefore many boats for sale.

·
Solo sailer
1 Posts
Bocas Del Toro, Panama, 83 degree water year around, $193 a year cruising permit, the only light I see at night is from a friends boat that I share the anchorage with. There are uncounted anchorages in this archipelago, protected and out of the hurricane path. Panama has never had a hurricane. I have been here eight years and as with anywhere there are minuses to go with the pluses but I don't know where else I would like to drop the hook. I did most of the eastern Carribean in the 70's & 80's and it has way too many boats for my tastes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts