SailNet Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I realize this is a REALLY overdone question, and I have read a lot, but the phrasing on the answer confuses me.

For my new symmetrical spinnaker setup, do I want TWO sheets that are twice the length of the boat, or ONE sheet that is twice the length of the boat, but tied to the clew in the middle?

My boat is 22', so am I buying (1) line 44' long, or (2) different colored lines, both 44' long?

What's the best size line for the sheets? I'm thinking 5/16 (8mm)

For the spinnaker halyard, 8mm as well?

·
Registered
21,633 Posts
You want two lines, if you ever expect to jibe. A working line and a lazy line on the other side. The lazy line needs to go from the cockpit to the foredeck, around the mast and back to the clew of the spin, without creating any pull. Just like your jib, although, the clew of your spin is likely further away. Not sure if 2x boat length is absolutely necessary, as cockpit to mast to clew will be different between different boats. Good approximation though. Line size depends on line material. The less the line weighs, the better, but to downsize requires proper material. There also comes a point where a line is too small to handle. Whomever sells you the spin, will have the right input.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I should have explained it better. I know I'll need two sheets, but some of the explanations made it sound like one line was 2x the boat length, tied in the middle, and you had half of the line as each sheet.

Thanks for the explanation though, I'll get (2) 44' lines for sheets. Annoyingly the place I'm getting my parts from only has one color of the line I want, and I'd like each side to be a different color. So I guess I'm back to shopping for line.

·
Registered
21,633 Posts
Why do you want different colors, if they are already on distinctly different sides of the boat? Trying to imagine the advantage?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so that I can tell my girl, who I'm teaching, "grab the purple line", instead of "grab the purple rope on the right side of the boat. No, not the one tangled up in the bottom of the boat with the other purple rope, the OTHER purple rope!"

I realize there's lots of ways to minimize confusion with the same color line, but it would be nice to have a different color for each side.

·
Registered
21,633 Posts
Fair enough. No clear right and wrong. Captain's choice.

Personally, I don't think one is learning, if looking for colored lines, as opposed to understanding what they do and where they are.

I am a fan of any critical docking line being a unique color, particularly when unfamiliar guests or dock hands are trying to help. I'm not trying to teach them anything, I just want the "red" line.

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
We like to have the spinnaker gear in red or red fleck, and the headsail lines in blue/blue fleck. Docklines are white(ish). Vang is one color. Outhaul another. Mainsheet a third. Port spinnaker halyard is red, starboard is green. Cunningham is orange. Helps keep things organized. OP could get different colored lines online, no?

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
It certainly doesn't hurt to have different color sheets for each side, but I have never done that myself.

Here is a diagram of a typical symmetrical spinnaker setup.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts