SailNet Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
TEAM ZISSU
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can anyone recomend what lb mono Line\leader to use for tuna and also sailfish. I have fished alot for salmon on my Catalina 27 so I know the basics but I'm doing an east coast delivery in a couple days and want to fish on the way.

·
"Nevis Nice"
224 Posts
I tried 40 lb mono. Didn't cut it--actually the fish cut it. Lost a few big ones.

Moved up to 90 lb mono and have been very happy with it. Biggest fish was a 48" bull dolphin (didn't have a scale to weigh it). Hooked a blue marlin and got him up to the boat, where he threw the hook. Looked to be about 6'.

My boat rig is a short, stiff Penn Senator rod and a Shimano reel.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Re. line test -- the rule of thumb is the bigger the better. Remember, fishing from a sailboat isn't really fishing -- the object is to kill a fish so you can eat it. Heavy line helps. Best way to land them is to hook em and drag them til they're dead.

This is advice from a guy who manages about one fish per thousand lure miles, so take it for what it's worth.:D

·
TEAM ZISSU
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks guys, headed out on the atlantic for 10 days strait on saturday so I'll find out for sure then. "best thing to do is get her out on the ocean boss, if anythings gonna happen it's gonna happen out there"

·
Bombay Explorer 44
3,619 Posts
I used 100lbs monofilament with a wire leader.

Biggest fish we caught was a 50 -60 lb wahoo which wreaked havoc on our cockpit before we administered the "rum in the gills" coup de grace!

·
Sailing Instructor
24 Posts
Just got back from "The Islands" and was quite successful with a hand line of 100lbs with wire leader and rubber bungee attached to the stern cleat. Caught Mahi, Wahoo and Tuna, see my photos on galleries!! for proof!
I'ma complete amateur fisherman, but had a lot of fun catching and eating.
Keep it simple and don't expect too much.

good luck

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
quite successful with a hand line of 100lbs with wire leader and rubber bungee attached to the stern cleat.

Keep it simple and don't expect too much.
Exactly what we use - best solution.

·
1977 Morgan OI 30
438 Posts
80 lbs.

Get as big a spool as is practical [80lb test w wire and swivels] and if you use wire leaders have gloves and don't try to boat a green fish. You should have a gaff too and a club. :)

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
Don't club the fish to kill it... pouring vodka or other cheap alcohol into its mouth will kill it very quickly and humanely.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
I've always dispatched fish w/ rum or gin or whatever's available, but a sportfishing guy (you know, the ones who run around in 75 ft MVs) said that the proper way to prepare a fish for eating was to bleed them dry. Can't do that if they're dead drunk. He recommended a slit behind both gills, a rope around the tail and a few minutes dragging in the wake. Sounds like shark bait to me, but he swore by the technique.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts