SailNet Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have a Link 2000R alternator regulator and battery monitor system. I also have the Heart interface inverter/charger. I have been having some problems with the regulator recently and my investigations have come up with the fact that Xantrax no longer sells or services the Link 2000R, and there seems to be only one person nationwide who can repair the regulator.

So I am wondering, should I just replace the Link 2000R completely with a system that is still supported to avoid future problems, or should I buy a spare Link 2000 and have the one I already have fixed? Any thoughts on this? I also thought about just replacing the ideal regulator module with the current Xantrex 3-stage regulator.

There was another thread with some info on the Link, but nobody really came to any conclusions about what they were going to do, so any info and what your solution was is appreciated.

Thanks,
Brett

·
the pointy end is the bow
6,264 Posts
I'm in the same situation. I'll probably just wait for a failure before I replace anything though.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm in the same situation. I'll probably just wait for a failure before I replace anything though.
I forgot to mention, mine already failed...I think. Alternator was rebuilt and tests fine so I believe the regulator module is the problem. I found a place in NJ that does repairs on them, so I am sending it in. Still thinking of replacing the Link 2000R with a Link 2000 and separate regulator.

·
6,264 Posts
I forgot to mention, mine already failed...I think. Alternator was rebuilt and tests fine so I believe the regulator module is the problem. I found a place in NJ that does repairs on them, so I am sending it in. Still thinking of replacing the Link 2000R with a Link 2000 and separate regulator.
I think you can continue to use your current Link battery monitor and use a different regulator, such as Balmar. I say this because I burned out my Ideal Regulator last year or the year before and while it was in the shop, I had a cheap $15 Napa voltage regulator plugged into my alternator so we could continue to use the boat on weekends.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think you can continue to use your current Link battery monitor and use a different regulator, such as Balmar. I say this because I burned out my Ideal Regulator last year or the year before and while it was in the shop, I had a cheap $15 Napa voltage regulator plugged into my alternator so we could continue to use the boat on weekends.
So there was no effect on the Link with a different regulator? I have been trying to figure out if I could go that route. What functions on the Link monitor did not work without the Ideal Regulator?

·
Registered
197 Posts
If you disconnect the Ideal regulator module and wire any other smart regulator to the alternator you have a standard Link 2000. The regulator will charge based on it's individual programing

The Ideal regulator is controlled by the Link so you can set max amp output, tailor the charge curve of the regulator etc. In the "R" mode the Link tells the regulator what to do.

·
6,264 Posts
Brett,

What Jon D. said above is my recollection too. You can continue to monitor you battery's condition with the monitor but your new smart regulator will have to be setup independently to deliver the tailored charge.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I sent the Link, monitor board, and regulator module to Tekris Power in NJ. They determined that the Link display unit was not allowing the regulator to charge the battery and gave me the choice of a new display unit for $350 or replace the circuit board in my unit for $295, I chose the new unit. Installed it today and the alternator is charging as its supposed to now. Problem solved!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts