SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

List Serve for Chesapeake Bay sailing?

936 views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  capta 
#1 ·
Once upon a time, and for many years, there were list serves about sailing/boating on the Chesapeake. These were great for getting current info about places and conditions. But it seems they are lost to history. The last one was a Google List, but it is also gone.

Does anyone know of any current, active list serves for this region?

#2 ·
There is a Chesapeake Bay section here on Sailnet: Chesapeake Bay - SailNet Community

There is a Chesapeake Bay section on eBoatCards but not much traffic.

I think there is a Usenet group but I haven't seen any traffic there in a couple of years.

Some of the local yacht clubs and sailing associations have e-mail lists restricted to members.

#7 ·
Funny I am still a member on a few. (of course those who do maintenance on a VW Vanagons are not exactly "up to date!") and seem to be making a bit of a resurgence in the form of groups. There are some really good yahoo and google groups and I think there is a real benefit to being able to send an email out to a bunch of "experts" in the issue at hand. But the real advantage of forums is the ease of searching for past answers. Most list serves are hard to search, of course our search functionality here kind of disproves that notion!

The other advantage of a group or list serve is there seems to be less maintenance overhead.

#6 ·
What Bubble said.

There is a Chesapeake Bay Sailors Google list but it is not very active. The last post in May was a response to a post from June 2011.

The lists have also largely been replaced with FaceBook groups. I belong to one for the Chesapeake and a dozen more for other sailing locations.

I don't want this to turn into a "I hate Facebook and here's why..." thread. I'm just putting it out there as a source.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.