SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys looking for a reasonable rate for a live aboard between Saint Augustine and Jacksonville long term.
By reasonable I mean something less than 500 a month
Just needs to have electric, pump out service, showers basics like that, But if it has more amenities that would be great too.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Check with Green Cove Springs Marina. I don't know what their rates are but you should check them out It's a reasonable place to be on the hard. If you're willing to go North of Jax you might want to check out Fernadina Harbor Marina or Amelia island Marina.

·
Barquito
3,499 Posts
Liver board, I would assume, is a charcuterie with liver and onions.

Clay, we are just messing with you! Welcome to Sailnet! I am sure you will find useful information here (much more useful than mine).

·
Aspiring Boat Bum
292 Posts
Check with Green Cove Springs Marina. I don't know what their rates are but you should check them out It's a reasonable place to be on the hard. If you're willing to go North of Jax you might want to check out Fernadina Harbor Marina or Amelia island Marina.
Green Cove is not really a great spot for a live aboard. First the dock space is extremely limited and most of what is available is taken up by long term, more or less permanent residents. Also they have no pump outs, bathrooms and showers have not been updated or remodeled in living memory, and if you do get a slip electric power in many spots is very iffy.

·
bell ringer
4,802 Posts
Green Cove is not really a great spot for a live aboard. First the dock space is extremely limited and most of what is available is taken up by long term, more or less permanent residents. Also they have no pump outs, bathrooms and showers have not been updated or remodeled in living memory, and if you do get a slip electric power in many spots is very iffy.
Calling it a marina is mostly a misuse use of the word as most boaters would understand it.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Calling it a marina is mostly a misuse use of the word as most boaters would understand it.
Yes, but the porch sitters are very amusing.

One other thing, at ANY of the Green Cove Spring facilities you really need a car. We needed a motel room for 2 nights and ended up driving all the way to Jacksonville. It’s the only county seat I’ve ever seen that does not have an eatery next to the court house for lawyers and clients.

·
Aspiring Boat Bum
292 Posts
Exactly. Might even be optimistic to call it a boat yard. Basically it's a place with a travel lift and a place to set your boat.

·
Aspiring Boat Bum
292 Posts
Maybe check with reynolds, also in gc springs
Reynolds Park Yacht Center
Reynolds is much nicer but still limited facilities. Not sure if they have a pumpout. Also I heard a rumor recently that they were eliminating full time live aboards. Worth checking.

Regardless, I've tried to get a slip there a number of times and there was always nothing available and they seemed quite uninterested in getting me on a waiting list. The last time this happened I had gone in person and saw at least 5-6 empty slips and one of the boaters docked at Reynolds assured me they were empty and not just someone out sailing that day.

Never quite understand what's going on there.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Live aboards between Saint Augustine and Jacksonville

Thanks everyone, Sorry for the misspelling can’t let Siri do anything LOL

·
bell ringer
4,802 Posts
You can sort through marinas fairly easy using Active Captain

·
Registered
484 Posts
Have kept a boat at GCS Marina in the past - the bathrooms are beyond horrible - you needed a hazmat suit to use it before Covid. They have not invested $1 in the marina for the past 20 years - good place to work on your boat or store long term on the hard - as long as you don't have to stay there. Can your boat get under the Shands Bridge - 45' height restriction - if so there maybe marinas around Palatka that might work

·
Registered
17 Posts
Less than $500 that meets your requirements in Florida? Never heard of that Kind of place. Let me know if you find one.

·
Registered
484 Posts
$500 or less can be found in Florida - but depends on your boat size - anywhere along the coast will be tough - especially as a liveaboard - if they are on a smaller boat - south of Green Cove might be an option - but the liveaboard requirement makes it more difficult

·
Aspiring Boat Bum
292 Posts
Have kept a boat at GCS Marina in the past - the bathrooms are beyond horrible - you needed a hazmat suit to use it before Covid. They have not invested $1 in the marina for the past 20 years - good place to work on your boat or store long term on the hard - as long as you don't have to stay there. Can your boat get under the Shands Bridge - 45' height restriction - if so there maybe marinas around Palatka that might work
GCS if anything is worse but it might get better. The manager, Bob, was old and in poor health and didn't seem interested in doing anything with the place. But he passed away last week and some changes may be coming. Apparently there were other partners that owned shares in the place and I hear they have put someone in to run it.

Until then, many of the residents have no idea about social distancing and still gather in a big group by the office every night to drink beer. Already several cases of Covid and with this kind of activity more to come.

·
Registered
484 Posts
The other partners I understand are all very old - just like Bob was - they have been milking that property for years - collecting lots of storage fees without putting any money into the marina - I was told they only have a month to month lease on it now - would not take much for it to disappear - if the EPA ever came in and took soil samples of the work yard - the place would be a Superfund site - they used to have a used boat parts store on property - Monkey Fist - the original owner was starting to build something of it - then he blew himself and a couple of co-workers up working on a power boat - no one was killed by he left the biz, Bob took it over and it quickly went down hill - I had traded some equipment for store credit - a few months later went back to use it and they had lost all the records - par for the course for the outfit> There were a lot of characters there over the years - and many from all over the world - word of mouth in the cruising community about a do-it yourself baot yard and cheap storage in Florida - I Met some interesting folks - but the last decade it had a differnt sort of character that worked and lived there - the international sailors would still come but they kept more to themselves - my Dad was retired and had a boat there - he went to the marina almost everyday for 15 years.

·
Aspiring Boat Bum
292 Posts
The other partners I understand are all very old - just like Bob was - they have been milking that property for years - collecting lots of storage fees without putting any money into the marina - I was told they only have a month to month lease on it now - would not take much for it to disappear - if the EPA ever came in and took soil samples of the work yard - the place would be a Superfund site - they used to have a used boat parts store on property - Monkey Fist - the original owner was starting to build something of it - then he blew himself and a couple of co-workers up working on a power boat - no one was killed by he left the biz, Bob took it over and it quickly went down hill - I had traded some equipment for store credit - a few months later went back to use it and they had lost all the records - par for the course for the outfit> There were a lot of characters there over the years - and many from all over the world - word of mouth in the cruising community about a do-it yourself baot yard and cheap storage in Florida - I Met some interesting folks - but the last decade it had a differnt sort of character that worked and lived there - the international sailors would still come but they kept more to themselves - my Dad was retired and had a boat there - he went to the marina almost everyday for 15 years.
Had the same experience at Monkey Fist. They're still operating but barely. Could be a great resource if someone put the effort in that the previous crew did before the explosion.

I've heard the new manager might have been assigned by Reynolds who owns the whole property and all the surrounding area. They are from one or the other branch of the family, Reynolds Aluminum or RJ Reynolds tobacco. Either way, they've got money and if they are now involved could make some major changes.

First brought my boat their in 2009 and it has really gone downhill since then. Too bad.

·
bell ringer
4,802 Posts
Had the same experience at Monkey Fist. They're still operating but barely. .
Sad because it is a great business model.

Buy used boat parts stolen off cruising boats stored there. Then sell to other cruising boats trying to get out of the place.

·
Aspiring Boat Bum
292 Posts
Sad because it is a great business model.

Buy used boat parts stolen off cruising boats stored there. Then sell to other cruising boats trying to get out of the place.
Well it was a fact that employees at the marina were stealing off boats in storage there but seriously, I don't think Monkey Fist was involved. If for no other reason, it would be too easy to get caught.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts