SailNet Community banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am starting to shop for my next boat next week. The plan is to head for Texas and then east to Florida. After that it is up the East coast. I am fairly aware of all the larger centers where boats are located but I would appreciate any information on other possibilities or out of the way places in close proximity to the larger centers.

Cheers in advance

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Hey,

Since it's December (and cold) I would avoid the east coast of NY from Annapolis to Maine. Brokers don't really want to work now, not a lot of incentive for owners to sell now, etc.

I suppose Texas and Florida are good now. Northeast will be better in April / May / June.

What are you looking for?

Good luck,
Barry

·
Not Finished Yet
829 Posts
I can only speak for Texas, but here you have:

- Kemah/Clear Lake - 10,000+ boats. Main place to shop in Texas
- Galveston - 30 minutes from Kemah, quite a few boats
- Port Aransas/Corpus Christi - 3.5 hours from Kemah. Quite a few boats.

You might also consider looking at freshwater boats. Selection will be very limited in the larger sizes:

- Canyon Lake just north of San Antonio
- Lake Travis just outside Austin
- Dallas Area has quite a few lakes with yacht clubs (Dallas Area Sailing and Yacht Clubs)

Also, see: Sailboats for sale from Sailing Texas, Sailboat Classifieds, sailboat for sale by owner

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
if you told us what you were looking for and maybe a budget range, we might be able to give you some better suggestions.
Not sure if that information would be pertinent. I am looking at boats mainly along the coast in the areas listed above - if that helps. Thanks for the response though.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
If we had any kind of clue as to what you are looking for, we might be able to steer you to and away from areas, but since we don't know if you are looking for a 20' daysailer or a 60' ocean crosser, we can't help.
Are you afraid that if you told us what you were looking for, we would all run out and buy up all the available inventory and leave you high and dry?

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not afraid of too much there Chuck, as I said I just don't think it is relevant to the question.

There are plenty of other threads I could peruse to find information on those questions. I am not interested for this thread to drift into that.

What I am looking for and what I had asked was for other locations in those areas that might have boats for sale that aren't particularly well known. I have found most marinas/centres have boats that fit most bills but, obviously, with less of a selection at some.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
I'm only guessing here (since that is all we are allowed to do) but my guess is you are looking for something cheap that will most likely only be found walking the docks and boat yards. All the better (and more expensive) boats will be found on the major web sites like Yachtworld. Whole lot easier searching the web than driving all over the country.

I could tell you lots of places to look around the Chesapeake Bay but if you are looking for something larger, say 45 plus, you would be wasting your time going to most of them.

If you gave us some idea of what you are looking for, there's a good possibility someone here on SN knows of a boat that would suit your needs perfectly.

·
Old enough to know better
4,345 Posts
Well this is like someone asking where to look at new cars, and giving no more info. So they are given directions to a Rolls Royce dealer, then they are upset because there are no new in there price range. Without some sort of direction, you are asking to be sent to the wrong place. Are you looking for a cruiser, racer, trailer-able, as they are all going to often be located at different places. If you want a boat for less than 10,000 it will be different than looking for one in 50,000 range, and even more different than 200,000 range. I notice UK in your name, are you planning to take it back to the UK? As that would play a big roll, as you will need something with the necessary paperwork to import to UK, such as engineering and design drawings and specifications required. So you would want to look for boats with the manufacturer still in business. Giving clear indication of what you are looking for is going to help make sure you get the information that is most useful to you.

Otherwise you would be better off checking out Yachtworld, sailboat listings, Craigslist and sailing Texas yourself.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I would say I am of the opposite opinion. I think most boats for sale are not listed on yachtworld etc and there are some gems to be found walking the docks. However, I will still consult the internet in my quest.

The travelling around, to me, is a good portion of the fun.

Chuck, would you care to list the lesser known spots in your area that have sailboats for sale? I am just trying to find areas that might have potential and am not interested in getting into a pi$$in' match about what I should or should not do. However, I will say I doubt I will want something over 45' at this time but ... you never know.

Cheers

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well this is like someone asking where to look at new cars, and giving no more info. So they are given directions to a Rolls Royce dealer, then they are upset because there are no new in there price range. Without some sort of direction, you are asking to be sent to the wrong place.
I guess I should have said I am not looking for a new but used boat. My experience is that a lot of places/marinas I have been to have a vast assortment of boats for sale. I am just trying to not overlook an area in my travels.

I am aware of the logistics of buying an overseas boat. However that is beyond the scope of my query. The nature of Rain Dog's response is what I am looking to receive.

Cheers

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
You want to find boats in out of the way places then try Craigs list. looking at all those beauties in Texas will take you on a journey the likes of which you will not believe. Craigs list will help you find the local places where the boats not on Yacht world would be located. Good luck with your search.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts