SailNet Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Sailing since 1966
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an old Laser I'm loaning to a colleague. Because of where it'll be kept, we're thinking of locking it -- not super-securely, but enough to keep the casual thief from just walking off with it. I'll put a trailer-hitch ball-lock on. But how to lock the Laser to the trailer? Maybe a long cable through the centerboard slot and around the trailer? Is there any standard way? Thanks for any thoughts on the matter.

·
Super Moderator
4,189 Posts
Centreboard trunk sounds good to me if you can get a lock down there. I have a long cable lock designed for roof topping kayaks called a "Lasso". Should work nicely.

·
Registered
21,599 Posts
Home Depot sells ratchet straps that have a place for a pad lock on the mechanism. You'll probably want a strap either way, to hold the hull on the trailer. The strap could probably be cut, but as you say, it would deter an easy walk away.

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
Would one of those steering wheel locks fit down the CB trunk and hook onto part of the trailer? Some sort of metal J-hook with a padlock at the point where it comes out of the CB trunk would do the trick too. Keeping it simple and obvious is a good idea.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts