SailNet Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where does the aftmost locker on the 37 drain to? Mine is split into two unequal areas. On the port and center is where the propane is stored and on the starboard side is where the stern anchor rode goes. The starboard area is deeper that the port side - and there's a hole at the bottom which heads under the center/port side - but I can't find an exit... Any clues?

We were cleaning the locker out - frustrated that water was collecting there and found a wooden plug filling the hole. So we took it out... Now we still have water pooling there - which means that wherever it went is now flooded!

Not sure what I should do about this - other than perhaps ignor it!

Bill
Toodle-oo!
PS37 #148

·
Registered
370 Posts
Bill:

On our #359, we have two ~1" dia limber holes (are they called limber holes even if they're not in the bilge?) draining that cockpit directly overboard her stern.

If you squint at the attached pic, you'll see them about a foot or so above the waterline.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Bill,
I suspect your boat is like our in this respect. If so, there is a hollow space below the propane locker floor, and aft of the aft-most bulkhead. If your stern anchor locker has been draining into this area the water would be trapped, this happened on our boat. I drilled a limber hole in the aft bulkhead (directly behind the rudder post, near the hull) to allow any trapped water to drain to the bilge. I later enlarged the hole with a 3" hole saw to allow the area to stay well ventilated. I can e-mail you a photo if this isn't clear.

Dave Dias
Crealock 37 #151
"Eowyn"

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dave,

Thanks for the info - I was beginning to conclude that I was either nuts or PSC were!

Interested to see a photo (billbalme at checon dot com) - did the 3" hole improve things? I'm more inclined to put a small (3/8") diameter hole in...

Bill

·
Registered
54 Posts
Bill
Picture sent. I only added the larger hole for ventilation, a small one will do for draining if any water is present. Start with a small hole first, with a bit of luck maybe you don't have any water aft of the bulkhead.
Dave Dias
Crealock 37 #151
"Eowyn"

·
Registered
52 Posts
You might just have debris clogging the limber hole drain. Why not take a fishtape or stiff wire (or similar) and just gently shove it down the hole? You could get lucky. I had an aft compartment with a plugged drain, but was able to use a long screwdriver to break through the blockage and now it drains to the bilge as it's supposed to.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.