SailNet Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI all,

I recently downloaded this logbook app in my quest to further my sailing credentials. So far I am really enjoying it. Best part is the automatic tracking when it sees you're over the water.

Sailing Log by Boatbook ? App review | svgimmeshelter

I'm thinking about doing a blog post on the top 10 must have apps. Anyone have any suggestions?

·
bell ringer
5,039 Posts
The app I use the most is TripAdvisor so when in a new place I can find things to see, do, eat, and drink. The only boat app I have is a wind thingie for my cell phone because the kids gave it to me (I've even used it twice the past couple of years).

·
bell ringer
5,039 Posts
Oh and I use Fandango to find where the theaters are and whats playing :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The app I use the most is TripAdvisor so when in a new place I can find things to see, do, eat, and drink. The only boat app I have is a wind thingie for my cell phone because the kids gave it to me (I've even used it twice the past couple of years).
For this I would also suggest Trover. I really enjoy using that app for finding secret treasures.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Sailflow / Windty (I prefer Windty)

Anchor Alert (its kinda crap though, I need to find a better one)

Active Captain

I have navionics on the phone too as a backup to my chartplotter

Animated Knots

Marinetraffic is fun

That stargazing app

Boatbook looks cool, thanks! I always forget to log my sea time.

·
Registered
267 Posts
HI all,

I recently downloaded this logbook app in my quest to further my sailing credentials. So far I am really enjoying it. Best part is the automatic tracking when it sees you're over the water.
The only issue I have with it (I've had it a while now, but disabled it shortly after installing) - is that every time I went over a decent size bridge, it would automatically start - and then I'd get notifications in and out the nose about starting/stopping/being on land lol. Should've seen my phone when I was going over the bridges on my way to Newport for the VOR stopover. I definitely is a handy tool, but sometimes the areas we travel made it more cumbersome than if I just had a start/stop button.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The only issue I have with it (I've had it a while now, but disabled it shortly after installing) - is that every time I went over a decent size bridge, it would automatically start - and then I'd get notifications in and out the nose about starting/stopping/being on land lol. Should've seen my phone when I was going over the bridges on my way to Newport for the VOR stopover. I definitely is a handy tool, but sometimes the areas we travel made it more cumbersome than if I just had a start/stop button.
Yeah I can see how this would be a problem in the northwest. Down here in Texas it's not so much of an issue.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Navionics is now my go-to app for charts -- the different map layer options (NOAA in the US, Navionics standard, and SonarCharts) are really nice to give different comparisons and the routing features are much easier to use on my ipad the fly than going down below to the chartplotter. Some others that are great are MarineWeather, AyeTides, and WindFinder. I've played around with a few others but haven't liked them enough to keep them on my ipad.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Depends on what kind of tracking you want to do but I use the Navionics app to track all my sailing. It keeps them all for you and includes the route, max speed, min speed, average speed, distance and lots more. You can even take photos along the way and it pinpoints the photos on the map so you can see exactly where the photo was taken.

I even track my skiing in the Navionics ski app (gives all the same cool info + elevation) and hiking in Navionics Hiking app.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I'm also a big fan of using Navionics to track my sailing. I send the data to my Evernote program and save it as a note as my sailing log. Then I can add comments and other information about that trip.
I also use Lightning Finder, Dark Sky, Windfinder and Pocketgrib for weather and wind info.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts