SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
I'd rather be sailing
Joined
·
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We'll make the final decision on Friday before we leave, but based upon weather forecasts for Friday night/Sat/Sun/Mon, leaving Branford, CT, going east around Montauk and then direct to the Delaware Bay looks good. Weather forecasts look very stable all up and down the eastern seaboard with winds of 10-20 and seas of 2-5ft the whole way. This is from Florida all the way to Georges Bank. I'm thinking the risk is fairly low, but I'd love some additional opinions... I'd rather go this route than traverse the East River/New York Harbor/New Jersey Coast at night. Thoughts?
 

·
Tartan 37C
Joined
·
501 Posts
FWIW,

When we made the trip down last year, we tied up at the Liberty Marina fuel docks around 2am and left at 6 and no one questioned or charged us.
 

·
Mud Hen #69, Mad Hatter
Joined
·
415 Posts
Good on you. I missed the chance to help friends move their S2 9.2 from Cayuga Lake NY to the Choptank R. in MD as I was out of vacation and I have always since regretted that I just didn't take unpaid leave.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
248 Posts
Labatt, your like a kid before christmas get some sleep already ! :)
I was hoping to get a chance to bump into you sometime up on the lake..We come up once a year for a week and rent one of the rent a wrecks out of Chipman Point,I actually think I was inline behind you 2 years ago August at the fuel dock in Willsboro Bay, anyway just wanted to wish you and your family the best and we all will be watching and waiting for updates..remember you have lots of helping hands and friends along the way dont be affraid to shout out ! New Hampshire here but I dont think your routes going to bring you by this year anyway happy sailing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,680 Posts
We'll make the final decision on Friday before we leave, but based upon weather forecasts for Friday night/Sat/Sun/Mon, leaving Branford, CT, going east around Montauk and then direct to the Delaware Bay looks good. Weather forecasts look very stable all up and down the eastern seaboard with winds of 10-20 and seas of 2-5ft the whole way. This is from Florida all the way to Georges Bank. I'm thinking the risk is fairly low, but I'd love some additional opinions... I'd rather go this route than traverse the East River/New York Harbor/New Jersey Coast at night. Thoughts?
Labatt,

So, I gather you are following the rhumb line from Montauk to Cap May? The weather window sounds pretty decent. Properly equipped, you'd likely be fine.

Did you end-up buying/renting the liferaft and EPIRB? If not, what is your plan for fire or flooding? Do you have an easily deployable dinghy, and some other emergency comm device like a handheld VHF/GPS/DSC unit? Survival suits?

I once made a +/- six hundred mile off shore trip without any of that stuff. It was nerve wracking. Yours is a much shorter hop -- but it's a notoriously nasty patch of water this time of year.

Two years ago, this very same coming weekend, we were out sailing on the eastern shore of the Chesapeake when an unforecast low developped off the Delmarva peninsula. We went to bed one night with no significant weather to speak of in the forecast and woke to a near gale on the Bay. Out over the Atlantic it was a full storm.

Make sure you've got the right equipment, and watch the weather carefully.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,000 Posts
Chris,
Looking at the weather I think you'll be just fine. Might be a bit bumpy early Friday and wind on your nose on Saturday, but beyond that it should be a fine trip. If by some chance you decide to go into Longport at Ocean City beware R2 was way off station a couple of weeks ago. Good luck and keep us posted.
 

·
I'd rather be sailing
Joined
·
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks John and Tom! Equipment wise, we don't have the liferaft. What I DO have is: 1 EPIRB w/GPS, 1 PLB, SSB, Fixed VHF, (2) Handheld VHF, Chartplotter, Portable GPS (Garmin Oregon 400C), SPOT, lots of SOLAS handheld, parachute and 25mm flares, holing kit, jacklines/harnesses/tethers, and probably some other stuff I'm forgetting. The liferaft won't be bought and installed until we get to Annapolis. I have an Avon 280HP pressure floor inflatable. It will be stored on the foredeck, is lightweight and can be easily launched. It won't hold 5 guys very well, but it's what I have.

Tom - I agree - 4 to 6 feet on Friday night to Saturday, but the winds aren't too bad. Saturday the winds are forecast to pick up a little which is probably a good thing... We need to hightail it out of CT to make it through the Race and around Montauk at ebb, but outside of that it should be a fun trip. Hopefully no suprise lows...
 

·
Telstar 28
Joined
·
1,000 Posts
Since you don't have a liferaft, it might be nice to get some survival suits aboard... :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
232 Posts
Chris - The weather looks absolutely fine and I see nothing in the files that look like a problem over the next 4 days. Make sure your rain gear is ready and stay warm when the small cold front moves across on late Saturday or so. Have a great trip and if the projected SE moves quickly through the SE to the W and then NW as predicted, you'll be in good shape. Do watch the Delaware Bay, if it's blowing out of the NW against the current it can be no fun at all esp. if it's cold. Enjoy the ride!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,680 Posts
Labatt,

When do you expect to reach Annapolis?

It looks like we'll be pulling in on Monday pm for a night. We'll probably be in a slip at ego alley (City Dock). Look me up and I'll buy you a round, in exchange for hearing all about your voyage.

Safe trip.
 

·
I'd rather be sailing
Joined
·
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
John - PM me your #... depending on wind and course, we'll be in Annapolis anytime between 5am and 4pm. I think we're going to be putting our boat at Mears - they have a fairly low "in-water winter storage" rate that will shave a couple of hundred off of a month long stay. Since I'm leaving on Tuesday, amenities aren't overly important. Wednesday, our generator and A/C start getting installed.
 

·
I'd rather be sailing
Joined
·
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Jim - Thanks for the reassurance. I wasn't thinking we'd be able to do it, but then the window opened up. I'd much prefer to go the direct route than through the East River and New York Harbor, even though it is about 60nm longer.
 

·
I'd rather be sailing
Joined
·
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The forecast looks like it may be starting to deteriorate. Wind and sea state predictions are increasing... The strange thing is that the offshore forecast is more sedate (relatively) than the coastal forecast... we'll see what things look like later.
 

·
moderate?
Joined
·
1,000 Posts
Hmmm...maybe get to Sandy Hook and wait for more settled conditions to make your run?
Tough to both get the LONG window and time the East River right. Perhaps it is better to get below NYC so you can make the 24 hour run to Cape May whenever a short window opens.
Your call Capn'...you know what that coast is like.
 

·
Wandering Aimlessly
Joined
·
22,037 Posts
Will be looking for you to make Carolina. Still deciding whether to go south myself.
 

·
Glad I found Sailnet
Joined
·
3,842 Posts
Delaware Bay can get pretty nasty

... Do watch the Delaware Bay, if it's blowing out of the NW against the current it can be no fun at all esp. if it's cold. Enjoy the ride!
I can vouch for that. We sailed the Delaware Bay last July with me new-to-me 50 foot Beneteau, on a trip from near Annapolis to Montauk. Each time the bow came down with a bam! was unnerving. Very steep waves when wind is against the tide. We motored (idled) into the wind and had to stay below 2.5 knots (indicated) for many hours, otherwise the whole bowsprit would go into "blue" water. I discovered that burying the bowsprit had an affect on the nav lights, killing them for awhile. (Hence the strong desire to not dip the bowsprit so much.) I also had a strong desire to stay in the channel, for fear of breaking waves outside of the channel. The channel means large shipping traffic, hense the desire to keep the nav lights functioning.

With few places to hide once your in the Deleware bay, it came down to "ok, this is what I'm doing all night, going from buoy to buoy at 2.5 knots". (I was also willing to do the old 180 and head back, and have done that when flying.) At least the visibility was infinite. I could clearly see the occasional ship, or tug-with-barge 45 minutes before they got to me. And I could see the buoys lined up for many miles. (Eventually we left the channel when the waves subsided, and took a break on the lee side of Cape May.)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
232 Posts
Chris - as Cam says "Capt, it's your call." Everything I've looked at (1200 hours) suggests that you really won't know how long you will have the wind on your nose. But - you will have wind. Given the westerly flow your sea state should be acceptable. Seems ok to leave Branford, round Montauk and see what you've got. You can always ease off and run w to Sandy Hook if appropriate and then head S when the wind moves W. At least you'll be out sailing rather than motoring through the doldrums of summer. And - it's warm.

Have a blast.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,367 Posts
Branford to Montauk?

Hey,

Why not leave Branford and sail to Montauk? The distance is around 45 mn, or a good days run. When you get to Montauk you can evaluate the conditions / forecast and then decide. You can anchor in Lake Montauk or stay at one of the marinas there. If / when the forecast is good you can jump out for the trip south.

Last summer I stayed at the Montauk yacht club 631-668-7702. The place was a little expensive, but very nice.

good luck,
Barry
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top