SailNet Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Closet Powerboater
3,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My parent's have a big fancy powerboat with all the trimmings. They went on about as long of a trip as they're likely to ever do this last summer, which was 8 weeks. They stay at marinas often and found that they didn't use their boat's washer/dryer combo unit at all, and they've offered it to me.

My new boat has a 5KW diesel genset, and 200gals of water tankage, and LOTS of storage and cabinet space. If I can find a home for this unit it's mine for the taking. Question is, do I really want it? A space big enough for this puppy can probably be found, but any space that big is a premium space. Also, as a reminder the plan is to set off for 3-5 (or more) years with 2 adults and 2 kids who are just recently out of diapers.

So, should I take it or not? You long term cruising types, and cruisers with kids, do you wish you had one of these or is it just a waste of space?

MedSailor

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
We had one on our boat and took it out after a year. We justs didn't use it enough to justify the space. On the other hand the people we sold the boat too added them back... So I think it is just personal preference.

The one big question I have is if you have a water maker? These things can chew thru water supplies quickly, so being able to make it yourself can become an issue.

·
Administrator
7,602 Posts
Laundry over most of the world seems to average about $1 per pound... Water included...

Work it out from there....

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,645 Posts
I'd ask, how big is big? A condo closet stack unit, or two full size machines? And how heavy is it, will it unbalance the boat, or can you shift some ballast?

Then, if you have the systems to support it, or what you'd have to add, including any structural work to bolt it down, even in a broach or roll.

Maybe put an empty refrigerator box in the intended location, and see if losing that space bugs you?

Now, all you need is a dedicated laundry maid onboard, and you'll have become a yachtsman instead of just a boater.(G)

·
Closet Powerboater
3,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't have a water maker and with 200gal of water tankage, I may not need one. Though, if one fell off the back of a truck in the next few years, I'd certainly find space for one of those!

size of the unit is about 2.5ftx3 if I recall or maybe a touch larger.

MedSailor

·
Administrator
7,602 Posts
How much water does it use? Does the dryer use water to dry (sounds crazy but some non vented ones do by condensing the steam). Is it a domestic one, or marinised to be frugal on water?

If you have the space it would be great. But at 20 gallons per load?

·
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA
4,526 Posts
I could see with kids that it might be tempting but without a water maker I would be inclined to say 'No'. In a lot of places you have to carry your water to the boat in jerry cans, sometimes from a tap that might be a distance from the dock or beach. Strikes mean that it is a lot easier to carry the clothes ashore to a laundry, laundromat, or wash tub than lug jugs of water. If it is 20 gal of water that is close to 200 lb. Add in the power use (which means jugs of diesel to be carried) and it looks like not a good idea. Remember that in many places you go there are no fuel docks with water taps to be had. You development a completely different mindset about how things work.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts