SailNet Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a moderate chance that my career will take me to Europe for 3 or 4 years (federal employee). If so, I'd like to transfer my 28 foot sailboat to dry storage, both to save money, and to reduce risk and deterioration.

Here in the Puget Sound, most people keep their boats in the water year round, so there aren't a lot of storage facilities, like there are in colder climates. I don't have a trailer, which means (I think) that I would need a facility near the water with launch and recovery capabilities, as well as stands, keel blocks, etc.

Looking for ideas and suggestions along these lines:

1. Is anyone familiar with dry storage facilities in Puget Sound? Something like Dagmar's Landing?

2. Is there a cost effective way to haul and store a boat in a general (non waterfront) facility?

3. Where can I find information on long term layup procedures (mostly for the engine, but also worried about mold and mildew as well as general deterioration).

Thanks in advance!

·
19,484 Posts
There's a fairly large storage yard south of Bellingham right along the I5. I've seen largish keelboats there as well as RVs etc. Not on the water so would involve trucking but long term storage might be cheaper over a 3-4 yr span and cost of trucking could maybe be absorbed.

Being off the water may help with humidity and moisture issues somewhat. Running a dehumidifier would help if power is available and you can rig it to self drain.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that lead, Faster.

Another thing I could potentially do is buy a used trailer. Once on the trailer (via crane?) I could store it in a general storage facility, which would be much cheaper. And then resell the trailer when I get back (or not).

·
19,484 Posts
sell the boat
... or get your employer to move the boat with you, take advantage of the chance to do some Euro cruising while you're there!

Or sell the boat, buy another over there, sell it, then buy another over here... (Whew!!!!)

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
I would think you would want to store the boat indoors so you don't come back to a boat full of water. Make sure you drain all the water tanks and plumbing so freezing won't cause damage. The battery(s) will be toast by the time you get back. I'd remove all valuables (sails, electronics, tools, cushions) and store them separately. If you store it outdoors any one around you trust to keep an eye on her?

The other thing to consider is is the boat worth the cost of storage? Maybe storage is $200 a month for 48 months is $9600. I see on 1981 Spirit 28 for $8700 on Yachtworld.

·
Master Mariner
9,414 Posts
Absolutely the WORST thing for a boat is not to use it. 3 or 4 years is beyond reasonable. Mold, rust (especially in the PNW) and pests will so deteriorate the vessel, you really won't have anything left worth recommissioning. When I was operating the large motor yachts, I'd haul and store my boat for 8 to 10 months and it would take weeks to recommission her. I had constant mechanical problems, many more than when I operated the boat daily, chartering in the Keys.
As some have stated above sell her, or let a family member use her, paying for the insurance in exchange.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.