SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there! I'm not sure how many of the established members read the new introduction posts, nevertheless, here's my introduction.

I'm new to the Sailnet community and it's been over 10 years since I have done any serious sailing. But now it's time to get involved with sailing again. I'm looking to buy a stalwart little yacht and either sail it or have it shipped to Thailand (from the NE of USA) where I hope to spend (at least) several years cruising in and around S.E. Asia.

I'm open to any/and all advice from the well seasoned and well intentioned veterans in the community as I have a lot to learn in short period of time.

While I do have some off-shore sailing experience, I still consider myself a greenie when it come to real cruising. I've set up a website (called; sailing yarn) to organize my thoughts and make my plans for this new adventure. Please feel free to critique any of my ideas or thoughts posted on the site. I'm looking forward to gaining insight from the collective wisdom in this community. And I'm looking forward to making some new friends with like-minded individuals in the process.

·
Administrator
Farr 11.6 (Farr 38)
10,201 Posts
Welcome to SailNet. One word of advice is that you might want to consider buying a boat in New Zealand or Australia. While their initial prices seem to be a little higher than in the US, the cost of transportation to Thailand would have to be less.

Jeff

·
Barquito
3,773 Posts
Ah but consider the math:

Price of shipping boat from USA to SE Asia: $XXXXX.00
Price differential of boat in Australia vs USA: $XXXXX.00
Lifetime experience of sailing your boat from Eastern USA to Asia: Priceless. :)

·
Daniel - Norsea 27
1,256 Posts
What Jeff says would be a good idea to save some costs.

I know a couple with a similar boat to mine who had their boat shipped from France and off-loaded in Philadelphia. Their costs ended up being around $10k. They also travelled on the container ship as crew. Not sure if that helped alleviate any costs.

If you sail across, why not get a boat that's already on the same ocean. Some nice seaworthy boats on the west coast.

·
19,484 Posts
Welcome to SailNet. One word of advice is that you might want to consider buying a boat in New Zealand or Australia. While their initial prices seem to be a little higher than in the US, the cost of transportation to Thailand would have to be less.

Jeff
Also the exchange rate is sitting around Aus/NZ $0.750 USD. - you get a 25% discount on the USD, plus no/less shipping. It will also be interesting to research the offerings down under..

Though the major US and Euro builders are offered there, there's plenty of local product that might be unfamiliar to N.A. buyers.

Reactions: Amani Jnana

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
If the OP is now in NE of US it makes sense to buy the boat here for both cost and convenience. Then I would outfit the boat here for long term cruising (also cost savings) and sail it myself instead of shipping. More fun that way with lots of great cruising destinations between NE US and SE Asia.

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
After a few years cruising SE Asia the next destination is across the Indian Ocean.Some cruisers find that a bit daunting and offer their vessels up for sale. Of course others will hang on till the resale value has evaporated. Wide choice in Langkawi ,Malaysia and Phuket and Krabi in Thailand. It's 28 degrees there now and that's Celcius

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ah but consider the math:

Price of shipping boat from USA to SE Asia: $XXXXX.00
Price differential of boat in Australia vs USA: $XXXXX.00
Lifetime experience of sailing your boat from Eastern USA to Asia: Priceless. :)
Hi Barquito,

You are exactly right about how to analyze the options. BTW- I chose the PRICELESS route. I traveled to New York last week and put a sizable deposit on an IP 29. In May, I'll move the boat from the finger lakes to the Atlantic and begin my adventure. So much to do! Planning, preping, etc.

Fair winds to you and your crew.

A.J.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If the OP is now in NE of US it makes sense to buy the boat here for both cost and convenience. Then I would outfit the boat here for long term cruising (also cost savings) and sail it myself instead of shipping. More fun that way with lots of great cruising destinations between NE US and SE Asia.
Last week I traveled to NY and put a deposit on the boat. I'll outfit it as I travel down the East Coast.

Outfitting Formula: See If I can get by with buying nothing > sail a few hundred miles > reassess needs > buy/modify as needed > sail another few hundred miles > repeat process. Hopefully by the time I reach Florida (or Cuba) I should have the boat dialed in.

Thanks for the advice. Great minds think alike. Unfortunately, so do insane minds.

BTW- Which one are you? A genius I hope ;-)

A.J.

·
Kynntana (Freedom 38)
977 Posts
Hi Barquito,

You are exactly right about how to analyze the options. BTW- I chose the PRICELESS route. I traveled to New York last week and put a sizable deposit on an IP 29. In May, I'll move the boat from the finger lakes to the Atlantic and begin my adventure. So much to do! Planning, preping, etc.

Fair winds to you and your crew.

A.J.
Welcome to SN, AJ! I missed your introductory post from a couple of weeks ago and now you've bought a boat. Well, you certainly don't agonize over the little decisions, do you?! Now congratulations are in order, too :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes, I am. Take a look at sailingyarn.com and/or crystalbluevacation.com. I'm new to blogging as well so, don't expect too much. I'd love to get your feedback after you visit the sites.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
BTW Daniel - I see you you are in Virginia. If you're near the coast, I'd love to grab a drink with you as I transit the East coast. It's not how many miles you travel that matter, it's how many friends you make along the way!

A.J.

·
Daniel - Norsea 27
1,256 Posts
Yes, I am. Take a look at sailingyarn.com and/or crystalbluevacation.com. I'm new to blogging as well so, don't expect too much. I'd love to get your feedback after you visit the sites.
so far, so good. Looking at your boat at Sailing Crystal Blue now.

That looks like a great one. Good find. :wink

·
Daniel - Norsea 27
1,256 Posts
BTW Daniel - I see you you are in Virginia. If you're near the coast, I'd love to grab a drink with you as I transit the East coast. It's not how many miles you travel that matter, it's how many friends you make along the way!

A.J.
Yep. I live in Virginia and have my boat in Deale, MD that's just south of Annapolis. I visit my boat on (most) Sundays as I progress through my projects.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah, she has been a fresh-water boat her entire life, that plus being under wraps 7 months of every year has made her look a lot younger than her real age.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
OK, Let's stay in touch then and maybe we'll have a chance to meet. BTW- If you take a look on the sailingyarn.com site, you'll see I've done my homework in scouting out places to sail and keep the boat in Asia. This adventure has been a long time coming. It's just moving from the planning to the execution phase now. About the feedback: I truely believe as K Blanchard said - "Feedback is the breakfast of champions." so any/all feedback is warmly requested and received!

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
Last week I traveled to NY and put a deposit on the boat. I'll outfit it as I travel down the East Coast.

Outfitting Formula: See If I can get by with buying nothing > sail a few hundred miles > reassess needs > buy/modify as needed > sail another few hundred miles > repeat process. Hopefully by the time I reach Florida (or Cuba) I should have the boat dialed in.

Thanks for the advice. Great minds think alike. Unfortunately, so do insane minds.

BTW- Which one are you? A genius I hope ;-)

A.J.
Glad to see you go through with that plan :) I'm not a genius but I have a lot of common sense that served me well in life. Your outfitting formula appeals to me as well. I hope you start with a very thorough boat survey, focusing on fixing the structural and safety issues before you set out. Pay very close attention to through hulls, keel bolts and any other potential water ingress points. As well as standing rigging condition. Travel from Florida to Bahamas for a real sea trial. It is easy (and cheaper) to get back to Florida to fix stuff as opposed to fixing it anywhere else in that region.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Congrats on your new boat and good luck on your travels . Good to see someone with a plan and get on with what they want to do. Look forward to following your progress... Ralph

1 - 20 of 24 Posts