SailNet Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last summer our depth sounder died (it screamed a high pitched wail then blinked out, never to read again...). It was a Standard Horizon DS30, circa 1993 I believe. Nice little compact unit mounted on a bracket next to the overhead in the pilothouse.

I've been frequenting Craigslist and eBay to find a replacement, but no such luck. Thought I'd try here again. If anyone has one (or the DS35) lying around, or knows of someone who does - please let me know.

Thanks!

·
1975 Newport 28
1986 Hunter 31
602 Posts
Last summer our depth sounder died (it screamed a high pitched wail then blinked out, never to read again...). It was a Standard Horizon DS30, circa 1993 I believe. Nice little compact unit mounted on a bracket next to the overhead in the pilothouse.

I've been frequenting Craigslist and eBay to find a replacement, but no such luck. Thought I'd try here again. If anyone has one (or the DS35) lying around, or knows of someone who does - please let me know.

Thanks!
Hah! I have the answer to your question!!!

Send an email here:

Tim Johnson <[email protected]>

He is a tech rep at Standard Horizon. I have a Horizon DS45 which died last year, and they have a repair team that will have a look at your unit and let you know if it's reparable or not. I was told the standard repair was $65, but after they got my unit they determined it only needed a microprocessor reset (a reboot!) and I was charged nothing but return shipping ($9).

Tim is a very friendly and helpful tech rep. I don't doubt he'll be able to help you as well. Your unit is about the same year as mine, so I'm sure they'll be able to fix it or tell you why it's beyond repair.

Good luck!</[email protected]>

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jaschrumpf - you rock! I'll send Mr. Johnson an email and hope I get as lucky as you did. Thank you! :):):)

Love your boat, BTW. My first was an '84 N28 MkII. A fine sailor she was. Still miss her every once in awhile...

·
1975 Newport 28
1986 Hunter 31
602 Posts
Great! Let me know how it works out for you. I even talked with Tim on the phone, to give him my credit card number for the return shipping. He is a very nice guy and took an amazing amount of interest in helping me with my 17-year-old discontinued unit.

I hope he's as helpful to you!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.