SailNet Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
looking at a 24 foot SEAFARER

actually it is a 22' boat...I could not find out where to correct the heading where I said the boat is a 24'. Sorry for the mistake. It is a 22 footer! Built in 1975, could I get some opinions on this as a first boat...beginner sailor

·
Aeolus II
670 Posts
I owned a Seafarer 22

Seafarers are strong boats! I had mine from when I bought her in 1978 until 2007. They are built like tanks. The company, Seafarer Yachts, went bankrupt in the early 80s so there is no support from the MFG. But, there are many Seafarer email lists where you can get questions answered. The boat came in a swing keel and fin keel model. Sails are available at most any sail loft. Power was by outboard and you should be able to get re-power easily when needed. With some TLC a Seafarer will give you plenty of nice sailing. I moved up to a 27foot biat to give me standfing headroom and a bit more comfort down below.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Joe Thank you so much for your reply. It was very helpful to hear first hand what the boat is all about. Any hint on where those e mail lists are on the Seafarer?

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
One other question. The asking price for this boat is $2,000 with a trailer but no motor. It looks like a bigger boat could be bought for similar money. What is your opinion on that ?

·
Registered
991 Posts
Guy in the slip next to me has a seafarer 24... he took it up the inside passage. That's about as good as you can say for any boat.

·
Vikingsailor
200 Posts
I owned a 1974 24' Seafarer for years. Spent time reconditioning her.

Nice, solid boat. Usual minor production boat issues (voids, some crazing, etc.). But, sails great...heavy boat for her size.

I had the Futura deck, so more head room...nice layout.

These are the specs.

The Seafarer 24

·
Aeolus II
670 Posts
Seafarer lists

Here is a moderately active seafarer site:
Seafarer - Message Index

I have dropped my Seafarer email lists a while back but I will check to see if my old desktop still has any links.

As for considering a different boat. I moved up to a Catalina 27 2 years ago. The main reason was the cost to upgrade the Seafarer 22 was about what the Catalina cost me. Today is a used boat buyers market these days and you should explore all the possibilities for boats. There is no reason to take a totally worn out boat no matter who made it. Obviously, I have no idea what condition the Seafarer you are looking at is in, but it doesn't matter, look around at some competing boats. Also, don't forget when you purchase a small boat you will either be paying more for slip fees than you will anything else over the long haul. I have never had a boat on a trailer but my guess is you would either have a slip for it and use it or it would live on a trailer and not be sailed as much. Even a 24' boat can be a chore to launch from a trailer. Just stepping the mast is a chore. A slip is so easy by comparison, you step on board, uncover the sail and start the engine and drop the dock lines and you are out.

One other thought, an outboard will cost you nearly as much as the boat if you buy new. Used outboards need a close look, but bargains can be had.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts