SailNet Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found an old Precision 16 for sale near me that looks pretty clean. However, I noticed that someone mounted a board where the rudder attaches, I can’t find any stock photos of a 16 that has anything like this. Do you think the original rudder mounting holes broke loose and they just did a cheap “fix?” I wasn’t sure if these had a wood core in the transom or not. Any suggestions on how to correctly fix if the rest of the boat checks out? Thanks for any help

·
Registered
Moody 376
143 Posts
possible that they grounded it with the rudder locked down. and the gugeons pulled out. and they weren't able to source the proper replacements and added the wooden block for the proper spacing for the rudder to clear the lip on the transom.
you could remove the block of wood if its in bad shape and replace with a synthetic like starboard. Once you remove the board you can investigate what happened and you be able to see if there is any wood in the transom or if its just solid glass.

you coudl alwasy reach out to Precision and ask them, provide them the HIN I'm sure someone would know.
Precision Boat Works

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I appreciate your input Marc! I went and looked at it and got a hold of Precision before they closed. The boat is an early model and the block of teak was used for exactly what you described, to clear the lip of the transom. Precision had metal mounts with spacers made for later models. I ended up buying the boat, I’m looking forward to getting it home and cleaning it up! Thanks again

·
Registered
Moody 376
143 Posts
I appreciate your input Marc! I went and looked at it and got a hold of Precision before they closed. The boat is an early model and the block of teak was used for exactly what you described, to clear the lip of the transom. Precision had metal mounts with spacers made for later models. I ended up buying the boat, I’m looking forward to getting it home and cleaning it up! Thanks again
Cool beans... enjoy the boat...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts