SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As title says I'm seriously considering a 32' C&C 1984 that is missing all sails. I can get the boat for a good price but I'm a little confused on how I can go about finding the correct size used sails. I found new sails on several sites but it's like $3k +. when I say I can get a good deal price will be around $2750 including winter storage and a cradle is included with the boat. the yanmar is in unknown running condition but that is not a huge worry because i'm really wanting to experiment with making an electric motor in the future anyway for the boat. I would be buying this boat for mind relaxing in the great lakes where I live.

Thank you in advance for your input.

for the record I followed the Don Casey book inspecting the aging sailboat except for climbing the mast but it does look to be in good condition.

·
Registered
Moody 376
247 Posts
Bacons in Annapolis. Their website has a used sail section where you can Input your boat. And they will display sails In Their inventory that may fit your boat. Thing like mast slug size, and foil tape might be different. So even used, the sails might need some work.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bacons in Annapolis. Their website has a used sail section where you can Input your boat. And they will display sails In Their inventory that may fit your boat. Thing like mast slug size, and foil tape might be different. So even used, the sails might need some work.
Thank you, I will go check out the site now

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
The sails are your "main engine". I would guesstimate a new main and genoa at around 8K total, for good quality from a legit. sailmaker.
You can pay less, but will get less. Is there a loft nearby that you can call?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Hi Ian.
You say
I found new sails on several sites but it's like $3k +.
You will basically need a mainsail and a foresail.
If you have roller furling on your forestay that is one foresail.
If you don't, that will mean a jib and a genoa: two foresails.
So for an added 3K plus you have a boat with brand new sails.
If you can get them at that price you are doing well.
I would add a gennaker for light weather sailing but those should be available secondhand.

I find it strange that you balk at 3K for sails and then go on to mention that you:
really wanting to experiment with making an electric motor in the future anyway

For electric propulsion you are looking at REAL MONEY.
The 3 K for the sails will be nothing compared to the price of setting up to go electric.

Thank you in advance for your input.

You are welcome.

Gary

·
Registered
25,128 Posts
I highly recommend buying new sails. It's truly hard to appreciate the difference, until you take those first few sails with them. I bit the bullet a few years ago and was smiles ear to ear. One just gets used to the slowly degrading performance. You'll point higher with new, which may matter with a lee shore, and there is nothing relaxing about a baggy loose foot or leach cup that won't stop flogging on a worn sail.

If one takes proper care of new, such as annual cleaning and minor repairs, before they become major, a new set is going to far outlast a used set. I'm not sure there is as much economy in used sails, as it may seem. I'd be more inclined to source used to replace a single sail, in order to buy a couple of years, before going new, than to outfit with all used from the start.

Oh yea...... enjoy the heck out of the new boat!

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
For new sails you might consider Somerset Sails which can be found via Google. Bought an asymmetric kit from them for the last boat. Price was right. Kit wasn't as complete as the Sailrite kits but Dacron is Dacron. So if you are budget restricted (and who isn't) and you have a long winter ahead you might consider going the kit route.

Reactions: Arcb

·
Super Moderator
5,110 Posts
For used sails you can get a rough estimate of size off the sailrite web page. May not be an exact match, but might be good enough.

I have had reasonably decent results with used sails. There are racers who swap out old sails after just a few seasons, but are still fine for cruising IMO.

·
Registered
25,128 Posts
Dacron is Dacron. So if you are budget restricted (and who isn't) and you have a long winter ahead you might consider going the kit route.
If one is reasonably handy, I think a kit is a possibility. I think I could do it, but I probably wouldn't. Lots of work. If one hasn't sewed material like this, it may take a little practice first.

However, not all Dacron is made alike. Different weights for starters. As for the sails, different hardware, etc. When I upgraded from the OEM dacron sails on my Jeanneau to new Quantum dacron sails, the quality difference was noticeable from the next zip code.

·
Lake Sailor
1,252 Posts
Bite the bullet and go with new, there is no substitute. I have a set of sails from Martin at Somerset on my 235. They are decent sails and the price was pretty good. Give him a call, its fall working in to winter, will probably get a decent deal, he is good to work with. https://somersetsails.com/ His website looks like its from the 90's but, no worries, just give him a call and see what he can do for you. A used sail is available for purchase because someone else has decided it is no longer of use to them, for a reason. "Serviceable" is a non-starter, it's not like you are getting year old one design racing sails because some racers buy sails every year. Go new, you will not regret it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks I will look into the links. I'm not rich only trying to get a nice boat at an affordable price to enjoy the water for the years I have remaining before I croak. and the Electric motor thing that is not cheap correct and I'm also not planning on going to some major company to drop $ to have it done I want to see if there is ways to RE-USE older items to create an electric motor. If I fail at it so be it I failed if I succeed then hopefully it helps others to Re-Use. In Absolute worst cases Yes I will get new sails (Kind of like clothing worst cases I'll buy new Jeans if Used good condition is not found in my size).

My Sewing abilities are just good enough to Hem some Re-Used Blue Jeans or Sew a Button on a Re-Use Shirt :)

Just doing my little part to try to help the planet so our most valuable asset on Earth stays a little cleaner and clearer to enjoy :)

·
Super Moderator
5,110 Posts
Thanks I will look into the links. I'm not rich only trying to get a nice boat at an affordable price to enjoy the water for the years I have remaining before I croak. and the Electric motor thing that is not cheap correct and I'm also not planning on going to some major company to drop $ to have it done I want to see if there is ways to RE-USE older items to create an electric motor. If I fail at it so be it I failed if I succeed then hopefully it helps others to Re-Use. In Absolute worst cases Yes I will get new sails (Kind of like clothing worst cases I'll buy new Jeans if Used good condition is not found in my size).
I have a used electric motor for when there isn't enough wind to fill my used sails on my used boat. I seem to be able to get from point a to point b just fine :)

However, it is likely you may be able to find a complete boat for less than this one will cost to fix up, Parts, even used add up fast.

If budget is a serious concern, 32 feet might not be a great starting point. Lots of people happily sailing the great lakes on 22 and 23 ft boats for the asking price of the C&C complete and in pretty good shape.

·
One of None
Hunter 34
8,667 Posts
Keep looking! you can do much better, it comes down to do you want to sail or do you want to work on the boat? and the only single best way to get the correct sails is to physically measure and compare them to data that is available from places like baconsails.com. you're talking $10,000 for an electric conversion if you "do it yourself"probably even more lol
As a buyer you can make the demands if they don't want it even meet you halfway start walking they will change thier tune.

Reactions: cb32863

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have a used electric motor for when there isn't enough wind to fill my used sails on my used boat. I seem to be able to get from point a to point b just fine :)

However, it is likely you may be able to find a complete boat for less than this one will cost to fix up, Parts, even used add up fast.

If budget is a serious concern, 32 feet might not be a great starting point. Lots of people happily sailing the great lakes on 22 and 23 ft boats for the asking price of the C&C complete and in pretty good shape.
Very true which I have considered, but lacking the extra comfort of the 32' for several days of being on board. just weighing options at the moment.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Keep looking! you can do much better, it comes down to do you want to sail or do you want to work on the boat? and the only single best way to get the correct sails is to physically measure and compare them to data that is available from places like baconsails.com. you're talking $10,000 for an electric conversion if you "do it yourself"probably even more lol
As a buyer you can make the demands if they don't want it even meet you halfway start walking they will change thier tune.

I'm still looking around at other options not 100% set on this one. I like it but still weighing other options.

·
Registered
1987 Cape Dory MKII hull #3
581 Posts
another source for used sails

·
One of None
Hunter 34
8,667 Posts
Sails and cost more than the boat? I don't think so not my mind.
For years I picked up all my sales used at baconsails.com was always very happy I had a 150 Genoa we pick up I think for $300 it was near perfect for my Oday 30

Reactions: Arcb

·
Registered
137 Posts
If you're getting a C&C 32 for under $3K in this market, you're doing well.

It sounds like performance is not your priority, nor does it sound like this is something you're particularly experienced at. Am I correct on both those assessments?

If so, ignore the people who advise you to spend money to get top quality. You're on the right track to find used sails, and learn, play around, etc. Frankly, good sails will be wasted on you, because you won't know how to trim them properly, nor will you recognize great performance if you happen upon it. That's why people buy used boats to learn on. There is no shame in any of that. Once you've had an informal race with another boat, and lost, you'll start looking around at ways to improve performance. At THAT point, you should start to consider new sails. ;)

As mentioned - first you need to figure out the designed sail sizes for your boat. The Sailrite database that an earlier poster provided is a great resource for that.
Next, when looking at used sails, you just need to make sure that each dimension on those sails is LESS THAN the designed sizes. (If the sail is smaller, it will fit the boat, but not perform optimally. if it's bigger, it won't fit the boat, and is useless.) You can look at all kinds of different sails in this case. I have a Catalina 25 mainsail on my C&C 27. I'm not going to win any races, but it's just fine for getting out on the lake and enjoying myself.
Use the Bacon Sails website to search for used sails.
Join all the FB and other forums you can. Ask any C&C 30 or 32 owners you find if they have old sails they'd like to sell, cheap. Think under $500 as a good price on a used sail. Stick with Dacron, not any racing fibers.
Walk the docks at your Club/Marina and meet people. Tell them what you're doing. Sailors love to help others,usually. They may know of something you can have for a song.

Have fun, and good luck.

·
Registered
Catalina 315
1,149 Posts
I like a boat with good sails. I've purchased various used boats and replaced the existing rags with new sails. After all, it's a SAILboat. I want it to sail well, or what's the point?

Also believe in buying the boat that I can afford to maintain well. If that means owning a smaller boat, fine. If my finances were to dictate that I own a Sunfish, then that's what I'd own.

Whatever boat I own, I give her what she needs.

But that's just me. Not saying you should endorse my philosophy, just sayin'.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts