SailNet Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We are doing sea trials this coming Monday. One of the first things we want to do is make the boat livable if all goes well. We will cruise in a few years.
Our first purchase is a new toilet. We (my wife and I) have weighed all the options we know of and have decided on an electric toilet. The particular toilet we are looking at is a Thetford/Wilcox - Tecma Silence Plus Fresh Water Toilet.
There are other makes and I am wondering if I have missed one that may be better.
Has anyone had experience with a better electric toilet or with this one good or bad?
I do not want to re-visit the electric verses the manual issue as we have decided on the electric for various reasons.
I did (I think) see one at a boat show one time that had a hand pump as an option incase the electric went south for some reason. I have never found it again. Any ideas on that one?
As a side note I had haemoid surgery not long ago and it is not to be taken lightly. The doc’s best advice was to take the magazines out of the means room. Not good to spend any more time than needed on the throne for your butt.

oops, this may be better in the gear forum but I do not see a way to move it.
Chip

·
Registered
725 Posts
I would get the largest house hold size bowl you can find.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I have a

Wilcox Crittenden that got bought out by Thetford. For a crapper, it is a piece of crap. It uses an impellar with a clutch in it that is prone to failure once a year. So, when you fill the bowl, the motor turns one way and then when you fllush, the motor turns the other way. After time, the clutch fails and the thing leaks and makes a mess. The rebuild kit is $80 and you have to get it from a dealer. In four years, I have had to rebuild it three times:mad:
I am considering a replacement, someone said getting a large bowl, similar to the house, I second that opinion:)

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
I'd second getting a Lavac. :) They're pretty close to bulletproof.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quiet?

I called Lavac about their Popular model and it sounds great. What they could not tell me is how quiet it is. They said it is quiet. Can you tell me how quiet it is? On our new old boat the head is next to the master state room as is on most boats. Will the electric head wake up a light sleeper like my wife?
It is great you can have bothe the manual and electric.
Also because of the head configuration I would need to do some serious fiberglass re-fitting to get the Tecma toilet to fit, even then I am not sure. It is a quiet operating toilet though.
Thanks,
Chip

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
My Wilcox Thetford

Is loud. Very loud. Mine is so loud, that I can be at the helm, with the diesel running 3000 to 3400 RPM's and guess what, I can hear the head flush over top the sound of a diesel. Will this one wake up your wife when she is sleeping without another sound on the boat and she is a light sleeper? Without a doubt mine will. Also, when you flush it, you should watch the amp gauge peg out, it jumps up over 40 amps. If you have been on the hook all night and get up in the morning and take a good healthy dump, you best start the engine up first, cuz you will drain your batteries stone dead in a heartbeat.

BTW, mine is the Newport Model

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That is not a Lavac model though is it? The guy I talked to at Lavac said he had an electric tolit on his power boat and it was real loud but the Lavac "Popular" model was not.
Chip

·
moderate?
1,000 Posts
I don't know the noise level of the Lavac and do NOT recommend the electric model pump even with the manual backup. Why the need for electric? You will use a LOT of amps and have a LOT of messy problems. Go lavac popular manual all the way and enjoy consistent performance and NO electrical concerns or electric pump jams.

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
IMHO, the simpler you can keep the head, the better off you're going to be in the long run.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Being a plumber for a pretty woman is not such a bad thing

These posts are all true. However there are some compromises to be made. My wife does not like looking at her waste while manually pumping it out of the bowel. Also the pumping wakes her up at night. She also would like a larger seat. Now wife is a trooper at most of the boating issues. She can sail and woman the helm as well as I and has overcome a lot of fears.
We have been sailing together for 41/2 years, married for 20. She is new to boats (I have been around boats most of my early life) and I almost drown her on our first outing on a Holder in January years ago. That is another story. She bounced back and is my partner. We plan on sailing Mexican and then Central America in four years (I am retiring). We may not come back. This is a leap for her also but she has decided to go for it. There are lots of boats and lots of guys on boats without woman. There are lots of women on boats that will not do anything but drink wine. So the toilet and a couple of other items do seem like not much of an issue compared to being with an unhappy partner, or none. Besides it was me who last blew up the toilet and had to re-plum it and the holding tank. I like a dummy threw a paper towel it in against her advice. That sent of a chain reaction of ooh look at that hose and that one etc.
Being a plumber for a pretty woman is not such a bad thing.
I like the Lavac as it would solve both issues but I like the Tecma because it is whisper quiet and elegant but it does not have a hand pump backup. I think at this point it will need to wait until the boat is in our hands for some more measurements. We have a buyer for our current boat (actually two) a Catalina 30 and we are closing the deal on our new older boat a 36 footer this week or next.
I never would of thought that buying a toilet would be such a big decision. We will have the next four years to test it. We will probably also be moving on the boat in six months or so and that should let us know it we make the correct decision whatever it is.
Thanks for the input,
Chip

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
Now if they come with an automatically lowering toilet seat, that would be one less complaint fromt he little lady.

WAIT! We'll give the vessel a good roll and flip the seat down :D :p

·
Registered
277 Posts
I do not think there is such a thing as a quiet toilet. Keep in mind boats do not have insulation in bulkheads and the toilet is next to the berth. The bowl and pump will have to be mounted on a solid surface, which in a modern boat is probably part of the same liner you are sleeping on. A light sleeper is not going sleep through the event. Perhaps the best choice is to get the highest quality head you can and call it done. At least she will not have to listen to you swear at it as often when it leaks, breaks and smells. The only other option would be a very solid wood hulled boat with the head a ways from the berth.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Tecma Toilet

San Diego Chip: I'm also considering the Tecma Silence head and was interested if you ended up getting one, and if so, what has been your experience?

In order to make it fit, I will have to remove the "guts" and re-plumb in a different manner but it should all work.

So any comments, positive or negative will be useful.

Thanks, Eric Stephan, S/V Indara

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
We ended up going with the VacuFlush toilet. The short bottom with a large house hold size bowel. My wife and even I love it. It is like the airplane or train toilets. Any way the only part that is electric is the vacume pump and it is low amp draw. We have had it about six months now and it has worked great. FYI -The Island Packets come with them standard equipment now.

·
Registered
7,855 Posts
Are you using fresh water for flushing? The last thing I would want to use fresh water for in places like Mexico, especially Baja, is to flush. Unless you have a watermaker which brings its own set of problems and $. Personally I am the happy owner of a manual Lavac and it would pass that paper towel.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts