SailNet Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
islander bahama 24
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at a Watkins 36 however its a ways to go to see it I have found conflicting info on the Watkins website does the 1981 w36c have keel bolts or is it encapsulated ?

·
Registered
830 Posts
newhaul;
Find specs at Watkins  Owners Home Page . A cornucopia of information, indeed !
like my 27, the keels were formed as part of the hull then filled with ballast. For more detailed questions, I invite you to follow. the link to the useres group at the above address.sorry, I can't C&P from here :D

·
islander bahama 24
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
newhaul;
Find specs at Watkins* Owners Home Page . A cornucopia of information, indeed !
like my 27, the keels were formed as part of the hull then filled with ballast. For more detailed questions, I invite you to follow. the link to the useres group at the above address.sorry, I can't C&P from here :D
I already read all that I could,d find the problem is the early 36 center cockpit ones had a bolt on keel ballast due to the small shop that they were building them in they would,dnt fit out the door with the meal on keel them they switched in the early mid 80"s to all internal ballast can't find a difinative as to exactly what year this happened.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Reading the entire history; rather than just the specs, it does sound confusing. I guess it hinges on the HIN prefix being AJC or WYM.
My '80 is on the cusp and has some features of previous editions and later as well. Perhaps the best advice would be to try to get some local "eyes on" prior to survey?
AFA construction and details; mine is quite sound, except for deck fittings poor installation. From reading recalled conversations posted years ago on the users group, there was some helter-skelter assembly work done on transitional models, especially during ownership/name changes.

I hope it all goes well for you :D
Regards,
Paul

·
islander bahama 24
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Paul the real problem is the early ones and the later ones had the encapsulated ballast the middle were bolt on lead in the 36 center cockpit ones. Hoping the broker can arrange for me to have dockage for my boat for a day so I can survey the vessel otherwise its a 3 hr ferry ride each way. ( this boat would be for my 90 yr old father he still actively sails on the gulf coast wants to move back here to the pnw) he prefers an encapsulated ballast. The deck fitting issue is easily solved with byutal tape and wrenches. Thanks for the heads up on that. Your 27 is encapsulated. Side question how is its sea keeping ? Thanks for the info.
Cheers Rob

1 - 5 of 5 Posts