SailNet Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I''v been looking at Pearson 30s, of early 70''s vintage. I generally like
the condition the boats are in (I have to remind myself that they ARE almost
30 yrs old), especially compared to other builders'' boats of the same age.
Pearsons seem to have held up pretty well. Still, there are some details on
each boat that make it difficult to evaluate what shape the boat is really
in. For example, we''ve seen one that is absolutely dry inside (no water or
oil in the bilge), the hull and rigging seem to be in good shape, but the
bow fitting (which holds the roller furling unit/forestay and bow roller)
seems somewhat corroded, and paint on the engine is peeling a little
(overheating?). How major/minor are those things

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
What you describe are VERY minor, easibly fixable and replaceable.
Specificaly what you should be looking for on a P30 would be things that even a surveyor would miss: the beginnings of rot at the base of the compression post (do a tiny drill hole) - if there IS **unseen** rot you wont be able to close the head door; rot under the cockpit coaming; thinning of the mast butt as it sits in its deck socket; if the A4 has enough ''meat'' left by removing an exhaust header bolt and going in with a probe to count **at least 3-4** threads - by removing the rudder post cap and inspecting that there is enough metal left to prevent the rudder from falling off; that there is no evidence of poor land storage that caused extreme hull flex - especialy under the ice box. --- all very costly and generally missed / ignored by most surveyors.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Does any one have a constructive opinion on the quality of Irwin boats. we are looking at a few 35 to 50 for west coast cruising and possibly further. From 1975 to the present.
Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
We have had a bad experience with a surveyor which has left us with costly repairs for an old boat. Make sure that your broker is not the one recommending the surveyor. I believe that is our problem. The boat surveyed well; we are now surprised by many thousands of dollars for bottom work. No cruising for us this year. Just be careful and be sure you have a good survey. NLG

·
Administrator
9,176 Posts
There is the BUC book which can be found at most brokers and some libraries. As far as I know it is not available on line.

When researching pricing for a particular model, I generally look at ads for sisterships in magazines and on the net. I typically assume that the asking price is inflated about 10 to 15% which is not always the case. I also try to find comparable designs to get a sense of what they are worth as well. I also try to find out what is unique to each of the models that I am looking at, weighing such things as whether they have a one design fleet or some unusual construstion or interior layout (good or bad).

Jeff

·
Administrator
9,176 Posts
I am not sure what the initials stand for. They do have a website at www.buc.net
Jeff

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am considering a 1985 Cal 27. Does anyone have any tips, either positive or negative, about this model and year?

Thanks!

~Jon

1 - 11 of 11 Posts