SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
美国华人, 帆船
2,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Looking for a short term boat slip in Annapolis from a few weeks to a couple months.

Requirements:
1. Plenty of water. Draft is 8.5 feet
2. Air draft 85 ft
3. Length is 59 feet.
4. Safe harbor but good jumping point to the North (Maine and Bermuda)

Planed sailing activities for this year and next:
1. Newport to Bermuda race in 2014
2. Maine, Nova Scotia and PEI
3. Return trip, LIS, Hell Gate and Liberty Landing marina
4. Late 2014 and early 2015, BVI and Caribbean

Good boat yard is a plus, since there are a number things need to taken care of.
1. Lewmar Vertical Retracting Thruster
2. Two refrigerators

·
Registered
86 Posts
That's a helluva boat Rock Dawg.

I'm a fair bit further north than you're talking, at the head of the Delaware Bay/River at the Delaware City Marina. I only mention it because A LOT of people with very expensive boats keep theirs there officially for 6 months and one day a year for the very favorable tax status our little state enjoys.

Beej

·
美国华人, 帆船
2,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's a helluva boat Rock Dawg.

Beej
Yes, it is. Doing 200 nm a day is an easy task. :D

Unfortunately or fortunately, it is NOT my boat. Filling two integrated fuel tanks (total 350 gal) will bankrupt me. hahahaha.

Thanks for the heads up. I will check out Delaware City Marina. :)

·
美国华人, 帆船
2,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm a fair bit further north than you're talking, at the head of the Delaware Bay/River at the Delaware City Marina. I only mention it because A LOT of people with very expensive boats keep theirs there officially for 6 months and one day a year for the very favorable tax status our little state enjoys.

Beej
I just called Delaware City marina, they will have a slip for us in a week or so. $2/ft/day or $22/ft/month, $121/ft/6 months.

I will take them out this weekend. Thanks.

·
美国华人, 帆船
2,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will. I spoke with Jeff on the phone.

·
Registered
86 Posts
The town is kinda quiet this time of year, but it picks up when the weather turns. Nice (not really) biker bar and a touristy crab restaurant if you're in the mood for some "scenery." A couple of real crab houses right by the street the marina is on. Everything in town is within a ten minute walk. Perfect spot for a well-educated *******.

If you really want to give your eyeballs a serious workout, drive north on S.R. 72 for 20 minutes until you hit Newark. Sit on the deck at one of the many bars and watch the girls go by. It's like McJagger says... would make a grown man cry.. I think the bus goes that way if you're not planning to rent a car.

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
I just called Delaware City marina, they will have a slip for us in a week or so. $2/ft/day or $22/ft/month, $121/ft/6 months.

I will take them out this weekend. Thanks.
Did you mention what your draft is? Unless they've done some serious dredging at the entrance to Delaware City since the last time I was in there, you will be very limited when you can get in and out, if indeed you can get in there at all...

Also, if there are "a number of things that need to be taken care of" on a 59' sailboat being prepped for the Bermuda Race, Delaware City will be a LONG way from the sort of services and people best qualified to do so... A visit to the closest West Marine in Bear, and a quick glance at their relatively limited inventory of sailboat hardware, should be all it takes for you to realize how limited the resources will be in such a location...

For a boat of that size and type, prepping for Bermuda, why go anywhere other than Annapolis?

·
Mermaid Hunter
5,686 Posts
For a boat of that size and type, prepping for Bermuda, why go anywhere other than Annapolis?
I agree with Jon. Yacht Basin or ACM in Spa Creek, Port A or Jabins in Back Creek. Both decent trip to BWI and lots of services.

Little Creek VA is also reasonable if you don't have to many complex service needs. Very close to Norfolk airport.

·
美国华人, 帆船
2,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have spoken to Bert Jabins already. The urgent needs are not race related. The race related items are the certification stuff. If the fund is committed by the owner, I will organize and participate the race. Finding 6 additional crews are more difficult than the repairs. I prefer to sail to Maine and PEI this Summer over Bermuda race. We talked about the northwest passage, but the owner does not want to take her back to West Coast.

Delaware City marina has some recent work done in the a last couple years. Jeff said that they have boats over 9 ft draft, I can only take his words on this. Delaware City is closer to me than Annapolis, it is easy for me to keep an eye her there on a weekly basis.

I remain flexible.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Rock Dawg As I recall, Delaware City is just a teeny eeny town on a teeny eeny canal off the Bay and not really near much of anything of interest. I am sure some like it there but I'd not want to stay there but t might be okay just for a slip. Right on the C and D is Summit North which should be able to accommodate you. It is prettier and has better facilities and as far as I know, all their slips are being replaced this year. There are many choices on the mid and upper Bay and I know most of them so if you can help me narrow them down by what you are looking for and how close you wish to be close to Baltimore, or Annapolis or even Solomons, I'd be glad to help. Solomons has lots of deep water and lots of facilities. Annapolis of course has everything and for fairly deep draft too but you'd have to be careful if over 8'. North of Annapolis has opportunities galore on Baltimore's Inner Harbor with lots of deep water. If you are not looking to be right on the main harbor, try Tidewater Marine where big boats can be accommodated. You might fit at Bowleys Quarters on Middle River--not sure.

·
美国华人, 帆船
2,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Rock Dawg As I recall, Delaware City is just a teeny eeny town on a teeny eeny canal off the Bay and not really near much of anything of interest. I am sure some like it there but I'd not want to stay there but t might be okay just for a slip. Right on the C and D is Summit North which should be able to accommodate you.
Hahahah... I love the way your put it: eeny eeny town on a teeny eeny canal off the Bay.

I spoke to Summit North, no dice.

My sailing buddy has a slip at Anchorage Marina, Inner Harbor that he is not using it. But the water there is just filthy and it takes too long to get back to the bay.

No doubt, Annapolis is ideal. :)

·
Registered
108 Posts
Well, the water may not be the Bahamas but you won't crack your head or die if you fall in at the Inner Harbor...unless you hit the deck on the way down. Anchorage is nice and close to everything and there is a water taxi and bars..and restaurants. In Annapolis Jabins has it all--the closest thing to a major, Florida-quality, full service marina with facilities for big boats but Port Annapolis next door is quite nice with a pool and landscaping as is the Yacht Basin downtown. You might want to consider Mears Marina on an outlying dock which is in Eastport and walking distance to downtown. Lets meet up for a beer..or two...or three...Sorry Summit North did not work--was it depth???

·
美国华人, 帆船
2,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
When I get the boat in Annapolis, let's have a beer or rum on the boat.

The Owner is friendly and real deal. This is his second boat designed by Robert Perry. The first one was 56 feet , a racer/crusier. The current one is a cruiser, but it has all racing pedigree including 3000 sq feet spinnaker. 11 winches, 8 of them are electric. On board compressor for Scuba, Ice maker, 2 freezers and three refrigerators,vacu Flush, and garbage compactor......... :p. It is totally insane.

Summit North does not have enough water. :(

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Not at Bowleys Quarters Marina - only about 7 feet there at high tide.

Gary :cool:
Sorry, I have to correct you here. This is definitely not true.

I have my boat in Bowleys marina (I believe that is what you mean; Bowleys Marina | Home). In my slip the nominal depth at MLLW is 7.5', and usually, when I turn on the depth meter, it is more. High tide 9' or more. I am pretty far out on the pier but not at the very end where the water is deeper (though not by much, I believe).

However, Rockdawg's boat will still not fit since the longest slip is 55' and he needs 59'.

·
Registered
108 Posts
You mean to tell me that the boat does not have an irridium based, triple gate zivoranovator? I never leave the dock without one installed--either hydraulic or electric. I prefer hydraulic since they are constant load but electric are okay if they are 43.8 volt, single phase and dual diode. Wuh? Seriously--you can be on Back Creek or Spa Creek which is downtown, but Mears is Back Creek with a short walk to downtown while Jabins and Port Annapolis or even Annapolis Landing Marina--if they can accommodate you, are much further out of town. On Spa Creek, I think only PA and Mears have pools...Jabins is landscaped like a shopping mall. Depth and air draft should not be a problem.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts