SailNet Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day everybody.. My Name is Markus Friedrich. I am 27 Years.. born in Germany. I m travelling since about an year. Started in Canada and after a good time i made my way down to Mexico .. This is about one year ago.. Im intending to continue my travel further trough central America in the coming Weeks and. Around May. June .. July i feel driven to return back to Europe.. Where i am flexible where to departure and where to arrive. Departure (e.g Panama, Nicaragua, Columbia, Argentinia..) Arival (Spain, Portugal, France, Germany, Netherland, England ..). I just want to round up this beautiful adventure with a fine ending. In anyway im agog with curiosity to experience and learn about a live on the open sea. So im offering my best commitment to the crew and would be geared to assist in any way. Beeing in good pyhsical conditions, sociable and quick on the uptake im very confident to become a helpful part in any situation..

A little bit to my person.. I studied and worked as an Architect and just recently i picked up on my Work again and designed some Houses in the Area of Lago Atitlan. I am travelling at the moment with an Argentinien Friend who is an Architect as well. We setted up kind of a nomad Office and work and travel trough Central America.. Besides I enjoy good food and love to cook. I like to play and listen to music. I enjoy good conversations .. My favourite sports are Surfing Snowboarding.. Thai chi. I'm open minded and like to share thoughts and experiences. I like to read and learn, my curiosity knows very few boundaries... In general i like to take it easy and live simple.. .. Please feel free to contact me for further information.. With best regards Markus ..

Attachments

·
Administrator
5,911 Posts
That's the beginning of hurricane season. Most boats are probably already well north by then, or...somewhere else...besides the Atlantic.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ahh all right.. Thank you for this news !! Well thats how it is.. So im willing to leave a little earlier.. or better later. around October / November.. and maintain the Hope :)

·
Registered
7,157 Posts
M- this thread has been up for awhile. You gotten no response to your request. You seem polite so let me offer a reason.
Every major ocean has a gyre. The winds in the temperate zones basically circle around the perimeter. The current follows the patterns of the winds. In the North Atlantic that means a bit north of the equator they go from off North Africa to the Caribbean then up the east coast of the U.S. Then start heading back toward Northern Europe off Canada.
All oceans also have a period of likely cyclonic storms. In the North Atlantic they are called hurricanes. Typically starting in June peaking in September then tailing off.
Your original post suggests you are not aware of these basics so likely unaware of the basics of ocean sailing.
Small sailboats (<60ft.) have limited space for crew. Because of this most captains want each crew highly skilled in the basics of ocean sailing. It's even better if they add a specialized skill such as engine mechanics, weather forecasting, electronics etc. but having folks you can trust to run the boat while you sleep is paramount.
Larger boats may accept unskilled or inexperienced crew. Sometimes for a fee. But many insurance companies will review the crew list and determine if crew is sufficiently experienced and skilled before they deem it prudent to underwrite the voyage.
I wish you luck but suspect unless you have an impressive sailing resume you have not shared here you are unlikely to find a berth.

·
Registered
456 Posts
This may date me, but historically one of the best ways to get a berth on a boat was to be on the dock, with a packed seabag. Ready to go. Don't know if that still works in todays world (historically hitchhiking also worked, but....), however you might give it a try. I suspect that coming through the Panama canal, eastbound, you might find someone that is a bit short of crew. Maybe you could bargain with them to help get them through the canal in exchange for a ride to the Caribbean? Just a thought.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hello everybody.. And thanks for the replys and the advices. Yes i know the chances are small but my excitment and my confidence is strong so i keep the hope and at least try everything i can. Sofar these Internetforums are the only way to connect with sailors, as far as i know. I will be in Panama soon and intend to be in Colon for a while to connect with Sailors personaly. Im thankful for any further advice or recommendation !! Best regards Markus

1 - 9 of 9 Posts