SailNet Community banner
  • Enter Our Dog Days of Summer BBQ Giveaway Now! ENDING SOON

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m in Oklahoma with lots of wind. Been wanting to get a fun sailboat…..one that you can tip and get wet. Not looking for complicated or cuddy cabin. Prefer a jib (2nd sail). I can sail and want to get back into it. I don’t have all the lingo, but I know I want to get a fun sailboat. Had a Sunfish for a few years and loved it. Want next level from that.
Is Hobie Cat best Choice? Or is there an easier fun/fast sail boat. Wife and teenage boys might accompany me. Maybe just 2 at a time. Who knows.

Appreciate any suggestions.

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
Depends on how much the wife wants to be in the boat . If she is a sailor and how much she wants to be wet. For you and teen boys the you can’t beat a beach cat. They are never boring and a blast when the wind is up but will your best half enjoy it only you might know.

·
Registered
125 Posts
One thing to consider is if the boat will remain at the lake rigged, or will you be coming and going on a trailer? If you are trailering the boat, being able to rig it by yourself quickly and easily may be a significant factor.

Another factor is being able to right it by yourself if you need to.

I'll make a plug for the Hobie Wave - which I had a few years ago. I could rig it solo and be out sailing while people with other boats were still putting everything together. I also knew I could right it by myself (which is harder with something like a Hobie 16). It can take 3 people but it becomes quite docile with that amount of weight. It is definitely a wet sail. You can add a jib (which I did) but it doesn't make a lot of difference whether you have one or not.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I had a Chrysler Pirateer when I lived on a lake. It was 13ft, centerboard, with main and jib. Fun and fast to sail. Can sail with two adults or an adult and two kids. But I think if I lived on a lake now I would get a Hobbie Cat. Fun to sail, can take a few adults and cooler. It also provides a nice hammock like platform to just chill.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts