SailNet Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok here's the scoop, the fellow that owned my boat before me figured that he'd just take out the atomic4 that was in it and install a diesel that he had kicking around.

Now the diesel runs awesome, but the problem is the boat doesn't move, due to the fact that its a 3:1 reduction gear.. and with the prop being set up for like 3000rpm and the new setup only giving it oh say 600 rpm wide open you c an see the problem..

I've done the math and theres no way I can get enough prop under the boat to use the existing gear.

So I'm wondering how hard you guy's think it will be to find a 1:1 or maybe 1.5:1 gear.

as well where to begin looking

and what information do I need to search for it, I belive the engine is a Yabeke or something like that. its a little 3 cyl. I will attach a photo.

thanks for the input

Attachments

·
midlife crisis member
975 Posts
Call the manufacturer of the gearbox and see if they make other ratios. You may be able to get the internal gears to convert your gearbox.

Eric

·
19,489 Posts
Lara... Willdadd hasn't been active here since last summer, but if he's got email notification he may get notice if you send him a PM. You need to get to 10 posts before you can send PMs, but that would be the best way to track him down.

Does the boat still have that diesel after all? Are you able to motor at reasonable speed?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts