SailNet Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know where I can locate a good boneyard/junkyard for MacGregor/Venture sailboats? I need parts for a 1972 Venture 222. Please let me know!

Just in case anyone knows of parts for sale, one of my needed items is a keel, preferably the once-piece cast iron type. Everything else is cosmetic...bow pulpit, pop top, hatches, etc etc. But I really need the keel; the one in my boat is pretty badly rusted and everyone's horror stories have me worried. I'd really like to get a new one installed in the boat before my marina opens back up this season.

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
AFAIK, there are no boneyards for any sailboats. You'd probably be better off posting this on a MacGregor specific site.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've seen a few mentions of boat boneyards...not sailboat specific, but they exist. They're not easy to find, though....:(

I found a link to one months ago, somewhere in Louisiana I think, but I forgot the name of it and now I can't seem to find it again. Which sucks, because they had a Venture 222 in their yard. I wish I'd known I was going to need the keel back then...

·
Tartan 27' owner
5,242 Posts
By the time you find this 'boneyard' with the specific keel you want you might be better off making a mold of the hull and having one cast locally. Better yet, chip all the rust off your existing keel and encapsulate it in fiberglass and re-use it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
venture parts

Try the venture of new port group on Yahoo.Lots of folks on there and there does seem to be an occasional venture being parted out.I have a 77 23 ft and love her dearly.Great boat and loads of fun

·
Registered
896 Posts
The keel on the Catalina 22 I rebuilt was rusted pretty bad, like more than 1/4" that I removed using a claw hammer and pounding the hell out of it for a few hours. The 1" diameter pin hole was 2" in diamer and almost out the side. When I got done with it, it was much better than the factory keel! If you haven't lost the keel I'd take a crack at fixing it.

·
Registered
5,856 Posts
Try King marine ask for Randy. Tell Him I sent you. He is Boat salvage yard. No telling what boats he has there day in or day out.

King Marine Ltd (King Salvage)
270 6th St, Verplanck, NY 10596
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TH>Contact Phone:</TH><TD>(914) 737-4306 </TD></TR><TR><TH>URL (web address):</TH><TD>
</TD></TR><TR><TH>Business Category:</TH><TD>Marina Operation in Verplanck, NY</TD></TR><TR><TH>Industry (SIC):</TH><TD>Marinas</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did you find what you were looking for?

Just wanted to let everyone know I have a mast, pop-top, and various other items available for a Venture 22.

·
Registered
359 Posts
American Outboard in Cordova, MD has a junkyard of a boat lot on their property. Google them for their website and phone. Also a great (and possibly the only) source for oddball outboard parts going back to the early 1900s. (American only, I nearly got thrown out of the place for asking about yamaha parts)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts