SailNet Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

I am looking for some suggestions on where to leave my sailboat for two weeks, while I return to Annapolis for a wedding over the holidays. I am currently in Charleston, SC and plan on being in the North Florida area by the time I depart back north by land. My question is, does anyone know of a very, very safe anchorage in a creek that is protected, and would anyone advise against this? This is my first trip south, and I do not have the funds for a mooring, slip, etc. Thanks for any input, and all the advice i have gotten from this site, before departing on my 6 month trip.

Michael

·
Warm Weather Sailor
1,040 Posts
Leaving a boat unattended for two weeks in a creek on US east coast is not a good thing to do. There are moorings now in Fernandina Beach and this might be a fairly inexpensive solution. There are also moorings in Vero Beach further south that are very safe and secure. They have rules about leaving the boat unattended but, in Vero, usually a neighbour will look after the boat for you. If you really can't afford a mooring your best bet would be to anchor it well at Titusville. There's enough cruiser traffic here to discourage "visitors". There are also a couple of good anchorages in Daytona but I suspect the authorities there will not take kindly to an unattended boat . Another thought is how you're getting back to Annapolis. You'll need a spot near transportation. In Fernandina you can fly out of JAX (about 30 miles) and in Vero out of PBI (about 90 miles).

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
I wouldn't leave a boat unattended on an anchor for any extended period of time, especially in Florida, where recent laws against unattended anchored boats have become somewhat common place and fairly draconian.

Another problem with leaving a boat unattended for two weeks at anchor, is that the boat could easily be stripped of most of the valuables in that period of time.

What might be a good idea is to see if you can find a private dock to leave the boat at for two weeks. There are a lot of houses in Florida with private docks. The rates would be less than leaving it at a marina, but have most of the benefits, such as having a bit more security than if it was just anchored out.

If you can't find a private dock to leave the boat at, use one of the moorings mentioned by Vasco. Spending the money for the security of a mooring or slip is well worth it, considering what the costs of retrieving your boat from impound, if it is consficated under the current crop of no-anchoring laws, or replacing the gear on your boat, and taking the time to do so would cost you.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both, you have given me the answer i was looking for, bad idea. Does anyone on this site know of a private dock that is available at a reasonable rate for a 30' sailboat in the northern Fl area?

·
Warm Weather Sailor
1,040 Posts
There are lots of empty slips in the development at Palm Coast. At the backs of people's houses. Very safe, quiet area. Palm Coast is between St. Augustine and Daytona. If you want the name of a homeowner there pm me and I'll give it to you. The rate is about $150 per month. What kind of boat do you have?

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
Glad to help... I'd recommend you take Vasco up on his offer and PM him.
Thank you both, you have given me the answer i was looking for, bad idea. Does anyone on this site know of a private dock that is available at a reasonable rate for a 30' sailboat in the northern Fl area?

·
Registered
337 Posts
Palm Coast is a long way from the ocean. I would suggest St. Augustine. There are several good options here. Feel free to p.m. me about them.

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
Long way from the ocean isn't necessarily a bad thing if the weather goes nasty... :)
Palm Coast is a long way from the ocean. I would suggest St. Augustine. There are several good options here. Feel free to p.m. me about them.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Michael,
As Vasco mentioned, there is Fernandina Beach, but just a bit further up the St. Mary's River is ....well, St. Mary's. A tiny community with several liveaboards there at the waterfront all the time. I squatted there on my boat for 4 months and met some of the best sailing friends I have. There is a stiff current and sometimes a 9' tide twice a day, but anchor properly and all will be well. I don't recall any stories of any yachts being robbed. The drive to the JAX airport is only about 30 minutes and I bet you meet someone who take you.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Hey All,

I am looking for some suggestions on where to leave my sailboat for two weeks, while I return to Annapolis for a wedding over the holidays. I am currently in Charleston, SC and plan on being in the North Florida area by the time I depart back north by land. My question is, does anyone know of a very, very safe anchorage in a creek that is protected, and would anyone advise against this? This is my first trip south, and I do not have the funds for a mooring, slip, etc. Thanks for any input, and all the advice i have gotten from this site, before departing on my 6 month trip.

Michael
I would definitely not leave my boat anchored for that long. It is asking for trouble.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts