SailNet Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 35' gemini sailboat and looking for a recommendation for a place to step a mast. Only place I found wants to haul the boat out then I can get a crain in to lift it. It now is costing over $1000. I just either need a place where we can get a crain to or a Marina that will do the reasonable in price.

·
Freedom Chip Counter
271 Posts
I would give the Coconut Grove Sailing Club a call Monday morning and see if they have any recommendations.

Dinner Key Marina right next door to them has the facilities to do it, but I suspect it will cost close to $1000.

Also call Playboy Marine Center in Fort Lauderdale, you can schedule a time to do it in the water. I’m not sure if they use their own lift or if you have to bring someone in. They do have several local rigging contractors that could help if needed.

Not sure you are going to be able to do it for less than $700 though down here.

Hopefully someone will chime in with a less expensive option for your 35’ Gemini.

Let us know how your search goes!

·
Registered
261 Posts
Quote not my words: Not Miami, but.
The best place to have your mast unstepped, coming back from the Bahamas, is at Cracker Boy Boat Works in Riviera Beach, FL. They are located off the Intracoastal Waterway, with easy access from the Lake Worth Inlet. They are nearest the Intracoastal Waterway marker R(43) just north of the Port of Palm Beach and south of Riviera Beach City Marina.
They charge $250.00 an hour to unstep/step Masts and it usually takes a half an hour mininum. So you are looking at $125.00 min. to unstep/step your mast at Cracker Boy Boat Works.
Phil, the Yard Manager at Cracker Boat, recommends to perform the Mast unstep/step at slack low tide with no rain or high winds.
Their web address is: crackerboyboatworks.com
Their E-Mail is : [email protected]comcast.net

·
Master Mariner
8,863 Posts
There should be plenty of freighters in the Miami River with the cranes to do that easily. Take your car and find one, make a deal and set a time, then come along side with lines and fenders ready at the appropriate time.
Easy Peasy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts