SailNet Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm trying to find a prop for my Pearson 30. They seem to be fairly hard to find used. Can anyone tell me what my options are?

Currently I have a folding prop that seems like it takes forever to extend.

4346231_20130423140239978_1_LARGE.jpg

What is this prop worth?

Folding props do seem to bring a premium price new as opposed to fixed.

RH 7X12 and 7/8 shaft

I saw ads about 5 years old in forums for fixed propellers this size for $150 asking.

·
19,489 Posts
You'll also need to know the rotation.. ie Right or Left hand rotation in order to match what you've got.

"Takes forever to extend"... do the blades move freely in air? Perhaps some corrosion is inhibiting the opening. Generally they don't take long to react, but esp in reverse are much less efficient than fixed props.. but present less drag when sailing, of course.

A reasonable compromise is a Campbell Sailer prop - a low-area fixed prop that many have had success with. Whether or not a fixed prop will work for you depends to a degree on whether you plan to race or not.

Of course there's no boat make/propeller 'combo'.. the prop should be selected based on the engine, horsepower, gear ratio and boat displacement. There are several on-line prop sizing programs that will get you started.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
You'll also need to know the rotation.. ie Right or Left hand rotation in order to match what you've got.

"Takes forever to extend"... do the blades move freely in air? Perhaps some corrosion is inhibiting the opening. Generally they don't take long to react, but esp in reverse are much less efficient than fixed props.. but present less drag when sailing, of course.

A reasonable compromise is a Campbell Sailer prop - a low-area fixed prop that many have had success with. Whether or not a fixed prop will work for you depends to a degree on whether you plan to race or not.

Of course there's no boat make/propeller 'combo'.. the prop should be selected based on the engine, horsepower, gear ratio and boat displacement. There are several on-line prop sizing programs that will get you started.
I went back and edited the exclusion. I read a very long article on sailboat props. Based on what I read, I would really like to go with a 3 blade fixed.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I just saw this 2 blade composite on ebay ends in 2 hours ---search 12x7 propeller if interested asking $70.

“I have a 12x7 CDI composite prop for 7/8 in. shaft that was on my Grampian 30 when I bought it. It was new and had never seen water. My atomic 4 has a reduction gear. This is not the correct prop for me. It was used one season on lake Champlain. I have replaced it with a 12x12. The prop is clean and undamaged. It is the correct prop for an atomic 4 direct drive application. Please email with any questions.”

·
Registered
765 Posts
You might want to try a composite "PerfectPitch" prop. They base them on the engine and have an option to extend the shaft so you can use a larger diameter. I like mine. Google it.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'd highly recommend the Campbell Sailer in that case..

West by North Enterprises - Campbell Sailer
I think I misrepresent my intentions.. I can't afford several thousand or even several hundred for a prop.

I want a spare or even a replacement used for as cheap as I can get one. I think I prop I have on there now is an expensive one and might be worth having rebuilt.

But I would really like a spare because used ones are so hard to find.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi and thanks for your post. I have a Northern 29 with an Atomic 30 hp gas engine. It has a composite 12x7RH 2 blade prop. I took a chance and bought a 12x12RH folding prop from eBay. I hope I will cruise ok especially in strong headwinds.

Did I make a mistake?

All comments welcome please.

·
Registered
364 Posts
bixtool you will probably stall your engine. It's way too big if you do not have the gear reduction.
Pearson796 ,I recommend the CDI prop and they are not expensive.

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
You have a Martec Elliptec. It's a good prop. You definitely should consider having it rebuilt. Martec does this all the time and does a great job for a reasonable price. Here's the link to info on refurbishing your prop.

refurbish.gif

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'd like to know why I would probably stall my engine and the prop is way to big.

I'm a novice I know and have read alot but fail to undertand. Both are 2 blade props and both are 12" in diameter. I know the pitch from 7" to 12" should probably drop my rpm from 2200 to 1300 or so...isn't this good? Can I have a marine shop change the pitch? I already spent 150$ on it....

·
no longer reading SailNet
2,309 Posts
1300rpm is lugging the engine.

Almost doubling the pitch is like starting your car in 3rd gear instead of 1st.

·
Registered
364 Posts
If you are at 2200 rpm now, then you have a reduction gear.
It may not stall when engaging the forward, but you will end up doing 3 knots at idle. Its a bit fast.
The sweet spot for the engine is 1800 rpm, so a 12X9 may be the best.
Yes they can change the pitch 2 inches maximum, without changing the blades.
Buy a 12X9 folding, then sell yours this Spring.
Out of despair, you could cut 1" of each blade, and if you get 1400 rpm you should be OK. :rolleyes: I hope I won't get stoned to death for saying that.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts