SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m new to the sailnet forum so open to any advice on my quest. I’m finally ready to buy a sailboat after years of race crewing and bareboat charters. After much on line review, a Tartan 28 appears to fit my needs. Unfortunately, I live in California and all the 28s for sale are on the east coast. I’ve never been on one let alone sailed one. Are there any Tartan 28 owners on the west coast who would be willing to let me look at their boat?

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Sorry not a Tartan owner . I'm just asking because I don't know , what is the difference between a Catalina 27 and a Tartan 27 ? How will you be using the boat ?
Mark .

·
Registered
83 Posts
Great boat. We are loving ours, but its in Florida, which isn’t helping you. We get lots of compliments and she seems to be a very well respected boat from knowledgeable racers and cruisers alike. Our sailing instructor, our rigger, our sail maker and even some new friends with much larger nice boats tell us what a great choice she is. I trucked mine from Maryland FWIW.

Good luck on your quest.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I’m not that familiar with the Catalina 27 and the Tartan 27. I’m focused on the Tartan 28 because it is supposed be a good performer but still ok for coastal cruising. My wife and I will mainly use it for day sailing and the occasional short cruise.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the testimonial on your a Tartan 28. It reassures me I’m on the right track. I’m willing to move one to California and so may just have to travel to see one.

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
While the Tartan 28 is a great boat, there are lots of other choices in that size range that would fit your needs. Don't restrict yourself so much.

·
Registered
926 Posts
There is what appears to be a pretty nice 1984 Tartan 28 for sale in North Vancouver. Asking price is $17 000 Canadian.
I am not savvy enough to provide a link but a simple search will do it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the good advice. The Tartan 28 is at the top of a list of similar boats in this size range that I plan to check out.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There is what appears to be a pretty nice 1984 Tartan 28 for sale in North Vancouver. Asking price is $17 000 Canadian.
I am not savvy enough to provide a link but a simple search will do it.
Hi paulinnanaimo,
Thanks. I’ve seen that Tartan 28 in Sailboat Listings. Vancouver is a shorter flight than to the east coast and a nice area to visit so it might be the one I try to see.

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
He likely drifted into the surf zone and breaking waves capsized him. Give the old dude some credit, he logged lots of sea miles.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
While the Tartan 28 is a great boat, there are lots of other choices in that size range that would fit your needs. Don't restrict yourself so much.
Hi JimsCAL,

The other boats on my A list are Islander 28, CAL 28-2 and Islander Bahama 30 (or the mark II). Do you have any other suggestions? Catalina’s are decent but I want something with a little more performance.
Thanks,

Ed

·
ASA and PSIA Instructor
4,096 Posts
The J-28c is a sweet pocket cruiser, the best design of that size bunch...although both the the Cal and Tartan are very desirable boats.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The J-28c is a sweet pocket cruiser, the best design of that size bunch...although both the the Cal and Tartan are very desirable boats.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Hi Sailingfool, Thanks. I’ll take a look at the J-28c. Always thought of them as primarily for racing, but liked them.

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
There are two Cal 28-2s in my club. Nice boat - little brother to my 33-2. The J/28 is also a good choice. Others are the Laser 28 and C&C 30-2. Issue with all these are that there are not a lot around compared Catalinas, Hunters or Benes.

·
12,121 Posts
My first keelboat was an Islander 28. Sailed very similar to a Trtan 28 that my friend in the next slip had. Being made in California there. Probably many out where your from and with more choices you’ll probably have a better chance of finding one close to you in good condition.

They were made solid, had a distinct look with lots of teak below and cane fronts on the cubbies. Engines were atomic 4 gas but the universal diesel was a common refit as it fit right in the engine bed and mated with the tranny with virtually no alterations.

Plenty of room below and a safe cockpit. Good choice.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Tartan built a good quality boat. If you cannot find one and want to shop for others in the top 10 or 20%, consider an Ericson. Their 28+ and their 30+ are fine boats. Any of these will have much stronger hull/ deck joints and generally better engineering than the cheaper ones. Sabre would be another good choice.
A Yamaha 30 would also impress you with its design quality and sailing ability.

Happy hunting!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Tartan built a good quality boat. If you cannot find one and want to shop for others in the top 10 or 20%, consider an Ericson. Their 28+ and their 30+ are fine boats. Any of these will have much stronger hull/ deck joints and generally better engineering than the cheaper ones. Sabre would be another good choice.
A Yamaha 30 would also impress you with its design quality and sailing ability.

Happy hunting!
Thanks for the suggestions. I have thought about the Ericsson 28+ and the Sabres. I’ll add the 30+ to my list.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
There are two Cal 28-2s in my club. Nice boat - little brother to my 33-2. The J/28 is also a good choice. Others are the Laser 28 and C&C 30-2. Issue with all these are that there are not a lot around compared Catalinas, Hunters or Benes.
Thanks. I’ll keep an eye out for the Laser 28 and C&C 30-2.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My first keelboat was an Islander 28. Sailed very similar to a Trtan 28 that my friend in the next slip had. Being made in California there. Probably many out where your from and with more choices you’ll probably have a better chance of finding one close to you in good condition.

They were made solid, had a distinct look with lots of teak below and cane fronts on the cubbies. Engines were atomic 4 gas but the universal diesel was a common refit as it fit right in the engine bed and mated with the tranny with virtually no alterations.

Plenty of room below and a safe cockpit. Good choice.
Hi chef2sail, I appreciate the input on the Islander 28. There are more of them in California and several appear to be well maintained.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts