SailNet Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Just bought my first used sailboat and need to replace a few items. The first is the Datamarine S200DL Digital Depth Sounder Display. LCD display flickers on/off. The transducer seems OK since the occasional correct display I see seems to match the depth I expect in the area.

I would first like to just replace the display unit with the same model if I can find it. Later, I will look to upgrade to a newer brand / unit.

Does anyone have a known source for used Datamarine equipment? DMI Marine, the company that purchased the inventory for Datamarine do not have replacement parts for this unit.

If no S200DL's are around, does anyone know a compatible unit (form factor and transducer input)?

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,707 Posts
Surprised that DMI doesn't have parts and can't fix the display. I don't think there's anything special about it. Won't be cheap however.

FWIW the Datamarine transducer is a standard 200kHz unit and will work with any display that used a transducer of the same frequency. I had my Datamarine transducer go bad several years ago and bought a Norcross Hawkeye refurbished depth system (cost about $65) and used the glue-in transducer with the Datamarine display. Last year the display died, so I mounted the 2 inch Hawkeye display in the Datamarine housing. This will work until I decide it's time to replace all the instruments. Right now the Datamarine Wind and Speed/Log instruments are working just fine. Not bad for 30+ year old electronics.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Long shot here. Sometimes in the display, the polarizing strip wears out/fades? and can read part or as you say looks as if its flickering.
If it is the problem put on polarized sunglasses and see if problem goes away.
Thinking?? these polarized strips can be purchased inexpensively and replaced.
Otherwise, check out of wire to display has been compromised or has connections that have to be cleaned up.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the quick replies HUGOSALT and JimsCAL.

I had been looking for the full display unit electronics from DMI. That is the part they do not have as a whole unit. I sent them a request to get an idea of the services cost to repair the LCD-related parts. Looking at their website, I agree, it will not be cheap.

Thanks for the summary of the work you did to fix it with the Hawkeye.

I pulled the unit out so I can check on the LCD display connections and will grab my daughter's Disney Moana 3-D glasses and give that a shot!

eBay seems to be light on Datamarine units / parts. Any other sources out there?

Thanks again!

·
Sailor
924 Posts
I had the same issue and it turned out to be a loose connection on an inline fuse. After fixing several times I removed the fuse and no longer have the issue. The circuit is protected at the panel so the fuse seemed redundant anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
217 Posts
I may have one that I think was damaged by lightning. (I don't throw much away)

Not sure what inside it is good or bad.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks ggray.

I disconnected the transponder today and powered up the display. Surprisingly, I actually got the expected "MSG" code on a very crisp LCD display, no flickering. So I think the issue may be in the connection to the transponder similar to Gladrags1's comment. I am going to look in that direction first. And will let you know if I might need the damaged display for parts.

Thank you!

·
Registered
S2 7.9 Bear Lake, UT
2,510 Posts
I had the same issue and it turned out to be a loose connection on an inline fuse. After fixing several times I removed the fuse and no longer have the issue. The circuit is protected at the panel so the fuse seemed redundant anyway.

Careful doing this. The fuse at the circuit panel is there to protect the wiring. If the current exceeds the fuses limit it will blow before the wire heats up and causes a fire. The fuse inline leading to a piece of electronics is there to protect the instrument. The panel fuse might be 15 amps and the inline fuel would likely be 5 amps, 2 amps or possibly less. Removing an inline fuse puts the instrument at risk. Better off replacing the inline fuse with a newer/better one. If it continues to blow a fuse, look for problems or shorts in the wiring.

·
Sailor
924 Posts
True. The fuse wasn't blowing. The connection inside the fuse container kept failing. The container wasn't air or water tight really and corrosion really took its toll. Fuse was ok.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,

Just bought my first used sailboat and need to replace a few items. The first is the Datamarine S200DL Digital Depth Sounder Display. LCD display flickers on/off. The transducer seems OK since the occasional correct display I see seems to match the depth I expect in the area.

I would first like to just replace the display unit with the same model if I can find it. Later, I will look to upgrade to a newer brand / unit.

Does anyone have a known source for used Datamarine equipment? DMI Marine, the company that purchased the inventory for Datamarine do not have replacement parts for this unit.

If no S200DL's are around, does anyone know a compatible unit (form factor and transducer input)?

Thanks!
If you are still looking for this depth sounder, I have a complete unit removed from my Hunter 34. I just put in on craigslist for 75.00 if interested.
John.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey ‘School Boy’,
It is a year later and I’m sure you sold your S200DL but if not, will you let me know? Or anyone else out there that has one for sale. Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
By the way, DMI is not responding to emails and the phone number is not valid. Have they packed it in?

·
Registered
4,707 Posts
I got covers from DMI this spring. Website is still up.

Note that the Datamarine depth sounders use a standard 200kHz transducer. Any display that uses the same will work as a replacement. Like an inexpensive Norcross Hawkeye.

·
Registered
3 Posts
THanks for the response jimsCAL

DMI has not responded to 3 emails over the last 2 weeks and their phone is out of order so my guess is that they are done. Sure glad I checked before I mailed them something to repair!

Also, our Data Marine Corinthian series depth sounder is from 1979/1980 and uses 210KHz!! At least that is what the documentation says and when I try a 200hz depths sounder, it does not work.

·
H34 'Spirit'
77 Posts
My research into my Datamarine "Corinthian Series" S200DL (circa 1983) also indicates that it uses a 210kHz transducer, so same problem. My issue isn't the transducer, but a few of the LCD lines on the numbers don't show up.

·
Registered
4,707 Posts
Are you sure about the 210 Khz spec? The DMI website shows 200 kHz and 120 kHz transducers but no 210. I can confirm that my circa 1985 unit worked fine when I replaced a bad Datamarine transducer with an Airmar 200 kHz one.

·
H34 'Spirit'
77 Posts
This image is from page 5 of the manual for the S200DL:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts