SailNet Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure where to post this. Mods, please move as you see fit.

I'm buying a used Sol Cat 18 that comes without sails. I'm looking for a cheap main and a jib to get me started - anything from a 15 foot boat up to 18 footer. They do not need to be pretty but at least repairable with sail tape.

Mast height 28'00". Sail Area: Main 175 sq. ft. Jib 45 sq.ft. Total 220 sq. ft
It is a fractional rig so the jib has to be smaller.

Sorry, but I do not have exact sail measurements. I'm picking it up this weekend. I would actually prefer to initially use smaller sails (like from a 16 footer) as it is going to be my first catamaran and I'm going to sail it solo.

I could also use a harness for the trapeze wire.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Free to a good home;
Jib 7' foot 22' luff hank on
Genoa 10' foot 22' luff hank on

Jib is old, genoa newer but both somewhat tired.

Reactions: krisscross

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the offer, Ulladh. I think that jib might be a tad too long in the luff (it is a deeply fractional rig). What a pity... I will measure the fore-stay this weekend to make sure.

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can't imagine you being able to get much out of the boat with just any sails. You at least want some sails off another catamaran, if nothing else

Try here:

Catamaran Sailboats at TheBeachcats.com
Thanks for the tip. I know that good sails translate into good performance. I have used plenty of tired/low fit sails over the years, as well as good ones. Big difference in performance but I think I can get by with some old sails to start with - I also have some extra battens from my windsurfing sails. Eventually I will buy a good main for that boat. A lot of people seem to sail these small cats with just a good main. I just can't spend $800 for it right now.

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think we have a set of sails from a GCat 5.0 (maybe it's 5.5?)
Awesome! They would fit perfectly as they have a similar rig. I'm not sure if there is G-cat 5.5. I have heard of 5.0 and 5.7. Either way I'm pretty sure they would fit my cat. I will send you a p.m. :)

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I finally picked up that catamaran today. It was an adventure, for sure, as the trailer was really marginal. Anyway, I have the proper sail dimensions, listed here as the maximum length.
Main: Luff - 25.5' ; Foot - 8.5'
Jib: Luff - 18'
Mast height: 28'

This boat has a rotating mast. It can rotate about 45 degrees either way. Anybody has an idea what is is good for? Mast has 3 stays, all hooked up to the mast at the same spot, about 2/3 way up.
Another question about daggerboards. Their depth can be adjusted, but if not careful, they can fall through. Looks like they were tied down to the side stays.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts