SailNet Community banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
When we got our "new" boat, my wife suggested (and I agreed) it would be helpful to have some help learning how to dock and handle the boat under power. We decided to hire a local captain to not only help with those tasks, but to also help my wife learn to sail. We've had a boat for over twenty years, and she knows a few things, but not a lot. Over the years, I had suggested "Womanship" (their motto: "No Yelling", but I think they've since gone out of business) or one of the many local companies that do sailing/cruising lessons. But, it never happened for any number of reasons.

I finally engaged the services of a female captain that gives lessons on her boat or yours. Captain Joy came to our boat and was a big help to me in showing me the ins and outs of docking my new boat, as well as some engine maintenance tips. I had wanted her to take just the Admiral out for a lesson or two, but she wouldn't do that as she wanted at least one other person aboard that knew what they were doing.

·
Advanced beginner
599 Posts
I finally engaged the services of a female captain that gives lessons on her boat or yours. Captain Joy came to our boat and was a big help to me in showing me the ins and outs of docking my new boat, as well as some engine maintenance tips. I had wanted her to take just the Admiral out for a lesson or two, but she wouldn't do that as she wanted at least one other person aboard that knew what they were doing.
Any chance you can post a link or pop one to me in DMs? I think you are local to me and I'm interested in engaging someone for this too.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Birthing person. A birthing person instructor is an instructor that is a birthing person...
Exactly. The OP is looking for a female instructor, not a person that teaches women... unless I misunderstood. For example, a birthing instructor is not generally herself pregnan, and a woman teacher can be a man, while a female teacher is a woman. As I said, if he meant the former, I misunderstood, but the responses all imply a female teacher, and the OP did not correct anyone.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Looks like we will have a new to us sailboat in a few weeks. While we have (mostly me) a few years at the helm I want my wife to have more confidence on the boat. I thought it might be best to hire a woman instructor to take my wife, daughter and grand daughter out on our new boat for instruction. Any recommendations for an instructor in the south Maryland area ?
MD School of Sailing does a “Women Only” ASA 101 and others. Rock Hall. I’m pretty sure Annapolis School of sailing does too

·
Registered
201 Posts
My 'better-half-by-far' isn't certified, might be certifiable ;), but has been plying the Chessy Bay for 25+ years on both power and sailing vessels. She knows how to sail (and the names of everything, etc), she is the dock helmsmen, has taken care of fuel filter changes, oil changes, bled the fuel lines, and more. She isn't on here but she probably would love to go sailing with other ladies and help them out. She taught one of our neighbors, who lost her husband tragically two years ago, how to dock her powerboat alone so she could still take her young daughter out without their dad (and empowering them both to boot!). At least you wouldn't have to pay hundreds of dollars for it. We are working on getting our 6-pack but we simply never kept track until recently of our hours, etc. I can't guarantee anything but this sounds like something she'd enjoy.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Glan,

I might ask to take you up on that. We will be moving from NC to Cambridge in a few weeks.

is it OK to PM you about this once we get there?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Glan,

I might ask to take you up on that. We will be moving from NC to Cambridge in a few weeks.

is it OK to PM you about this once we get there?
Absolutely! I probably should let her know I'm volunteering her services!!! :LOL:

·
Registered
201 Posts
Update: We were out over the weekend on the boat (of course!) and I told her how I was volunteering her services. She is all in! Happy to meet up with and hang out with other ladies who are looking for getting experience. This could be something done on our boat or yours!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Hey did you ever hire an uinstructor?
How did that go?

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Hey did you ever hire an uinstructor?
How did that go?
No, haven't yet. Took the daughter and grand kids out yesterday while the wife fixed BBQ ribs at home. The grand son took the boat out of the slip and half way down the creek before the grand daughter took over. Daughter has to work on holding a course. The broker was supposed to hook us up with lady instructor but hasn't called back. There are a couple of sailing clubs in the area. One is supposed to have a five year waiting list (maybe shorter now because of COVID) and the other one can join without a wait.

·
Registered
6,617 Posts
There are female crew on race boats at clubs. They may not be certified as instructors... but perhaps they are knowledgeable enough to teach the basics to children?

·
One of None
Hunter 34
8,433 Posts
II'm a
In all seriousness, as one of the few women here, I think the idea of trying to find a female instructor for the women in your family is a good one, but I wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger on any good instructor you can find, male or female. The gender here is just an advantage because you are trying to build their confidence, and seeing someone like you do something skillfully also builds confidence, e.g. "if she can do this, I can do this" kind of thing.

(I don't know of any evidence specific to sailing, but having a female teacher in a STEM class turns more women into STEM majors, the effect isn't big but it is measurable. Since sailing is also a male dominated activity, you might expect a similar effect there.)
I'm a member of women's sailing the Chesapeake. I was taken a back at the knowledge and experience of many of the women on this group, It's on FB There are also quite a few instructors, captains and masters!

21 - 32 of 32 Posts