SailNet Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am sailing a 25 ft 1969 coranado fin keel with a 3.6 draft and a 9.9 johnston outboard 2 stroke. im looking to leave fernandina beach , florida in or around april 2015 to the inside of the hook of massachusetts. any advice for a beginer sailor?
i know i have to go on the inside at cape hatteras.
- is there any other places i should go around or avoid?
- some people say i cant do it in my little boat with my little engine?
- what is your opinion on the sailboat i am taking?
i will have a portable vhf, and a portable garmin gps. i have the icw flip book chart, and good ground tackle. sails are in good condition. not much of an electrical system. i have a depth finder and a compass, but i dont use much else than that. i want to sail outside as much as possible and was just planning each passage by the weather. any advice helps.
thanks

·
Registered
847 Posts
You can do it if the boat's in good condition and you pay close attention to the weather.

However - if you are going by yourself I greatly recommend an autopilot and enough of an electrical system to deal with it.

If you plan on going in and out of inlets every day to anchor up, be aware that a lot of inlets involve traveling a good distance to find an anchorage. That can make for a long day. Fernandina Beach to St. Simons Sound can take longer than you think, anchor up to anchor down.

Got a liferaft or a dink with positive flotation in case of disaster?
Charts that show the class A inlets?

Be all that as it may, you can do it. Have a good time.

·
Registered
25,128 Posts
thanks-
i usually just anchor anywhere out of the way of channels and other boats. i dont usually travel that much farther than where i pull in.
Usually, as in where? This just isn't always a possibility.

With your draft, you should plan to take advantage of the ICW as much as you can. It's an experience your grandchildren may not have, as maintenance is being cut for many stretches. You'll get in plenty of sailing to get around New Jersey, up Long Island Sound, Block Island Sound, Buzzards Bay and Cape Cod Bay

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.