SailNet Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am searching for the biggest boat I can buy that will fit under the Pineda Causeway in Melbourne FL. The Causeway clearance is 42 feet. My limited research has come up with the following: Beneteau: First 305 (41'4"), Oceanis 281 (38'6"), Oceanis 300 (41"), First 30E (37'4") - - - O'Day 302 (41'4"). I'm still looking and would appreciate any additional information anyone might have. Thanks

·
Administrator
5,924 Posts
Welcome to SailNet. I moved your post into its own thread to not confuse things with the original question.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I am searching for the biggest boat I can buy that will fit under the Pineda Causeway in Melbourne FL. The Causeway clearance is 42 feet. My limited research has come up with the following: Beneteau: First 305 (41'4"), Oceanis 281 (38'6"), Oceanis 300 (41"), First 30E (37'4") - - - O'Day 302 (41'4"). I'm still looking and would appreciate any additional information anyone might have. Thanks
I knew a sailor in Oxnard who had a 35' boat with bridge limitations. He had a deck stepped mast and rigged a system toggles and guys to bring the mast down to about 45 degree angle every time they went out. They were about 10 minutes up in the canal. As they motored down the canal he would rig and lower the mast while his wife would steer the boat. As soon as they cleared the bridge he brought it up (power winch), toggled down the forestay, and they went sailing. He made it look effortless. They had the sails furled, but didn't bother taking them off.

GTJ

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
The clearance is reported as 43 feet on the Banana River span on the nautical charts. I haven't motored up to check on the tide board however. I assume you're keeping your boat north of the bridge and would like to head southbound for your sailing ventures. Indian River span is 65 feet as you know already.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts