SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
S/V Rocinante-Pearson 33
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
3 years ago I purchased a 25' Irwin 10/4 for $2.5K to get into sailing and to see how I liked it. Needless to say I love it and am now starting to get the itch to move up in size. I am not well versed in all the different builders/models so I thought I'd ask here for some suggestions for boats that fit the following requirements:

Length: 30'-35'
Draft: Less than or equal to 4'
Rig: Ketch (I understand that there is no real performance advantage for a ketch rig on a boat this size and that there are increased maintenance costs for 2 masts. This a purely aesthetic/personal preference)
Budget: No limit as I have a boat that I enjoy sailing now and can take my time to build up savings for the right boat.

As for my intended use, my sailing consists of day sails with the occasional weekend/short cruise on the Chesapeake. My loftiest ambition for the foreseeable future would be doing the ICW to head to the Bahamas.

Right now my list consists solely of the Mariner 32 ketch. Any additions you guys can make to this list would be greatly appreciated!

·
S/V Rocinante-Pearson 33
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nope only 1 boat will do... the Mac 26X. Don't blame me, all the years of people on this board, and I'm finally convinced.
Ok, we're off to a strong start here...

(I just printed out your post so I could have the physical pleasure of taking the suggestion of a Mac 26X and literally throwing it into a garbage can)

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Ok, I'll start....how 'bout a Fuji 32?
nice boat, sailed one once, good rough water boat, don't have to worry about falling across the cockpit, every time you move in the cockpit the mizzen mast catches you, and if it does not catch you it tries to kill you. as if the cockpit is not small enough they put a mast in there too. we had fun but sure go beat up.

·
Broad Reachin'
2,038 Posts
Here's a few to consider:

Fuji 35 (in addition to the aforementioned 32) - Classic Alden ketch (draft 5'?)
Freedom 33/35 - Cat ketch (draft 4')
Hallberg Rassy Rasmus - Proven affordable bluewater cruiser w/ a big engine (draft 4'3")
Fisher 35/30 - Pilothouse ketch! (draft 4'9")
Cheoy Lee Offshore 33 - Classic CL Hong Kong cruiser (draft 4')
Nauticat 33 - Pilothouse motorsailor ketch (draft 5'1")
Westerly 33 - UK boat, maybe tough to find in US
O'Day 32 - Homely but affordable
Allied Seawind 32 - Popular and proven Gillmer design (also see Seawind 30)
Mariner 31/32/35 - Japanese/Taiwan built. The 32 is from shares a hull mold w/ the Fuji 32
Cape Dory 30 - Full keel, short waterline Alberg design

Sounds like you've researched the pros/cons of ketch rigs, but I still recommend reading Bob Perry's perspective on split rigs.

·
Bill SV Rangatira
421 Posts
too often i've seen the what is the best boat posts you need to
define your sailing style and sailing conditions
add some personal taste to the mix
find a boat you can afford without going deeply in debt
(if you are working to pay off the boat you won't be out sailing)
decide what amenities you can live without
and then look at boats

·
S/V Rocinante-Pearson 33
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
too often i've seen the what is the best boat posts you need to
define your sailing style and sailing conditions
add some personal taste to the mix
find a boat you can afford without going deeply in debt
(if you are working to pay off the boat you won't be out sailing)
decide what amenities you can live without
and then look at boats
I feel like this is exactly what I am doing no? As I said in my original post...

"define your sailing style and sailing conditions"
- day sailing with the occasional short cruise (a week or less) on the Chesapeake

"add some personal taste to the mix"
- Ketch rig (personal taste) and 4' max draft (due to docking restrictions)

"find a boat you can afford without going deeply in debt"
- As, I said, I'm in no hurry and can save up for the right boat. Not planning on taking out a loan

"and then look at boats"
- That's why I'm here!

I guess the only thing from your list I missed was amenities? No requirement. Any amenities will be an upgrade over what I have now.

·
Barquito
3,728 Posts
Actually, if price where no object, you could have Mr. Perry design a boat that you describe. I assume you mean that you don't need to limit yourself to the cheapest productions boats?

·
Registered
442 Posts
3 years ago I purchased a 25' Irwin 10/4 for $2.5K to get into sailing and to see how I liked it. Needless to say I love it and am now starting to get the itch to move up in size. I am not well versed in all the different builders/models so I thought I'd ask here for some suggestions for boats that fit the following requirements:

Length: 30'-35'
Draft: Less than or equal to 4'
Rig: Ketch (I understand that there is no real performance advantage for a ketch rig on a boat this size and that there are increased maintenance costs for 2 masts. This a purely aesthetic/personal preference)
Budget: No limit as I have a boat that I enjoy sailing now and can take my time to build up savings for the right boat.

As for my intended use, my sailing consists of day sails with the occasional weekend/short cruise on the Chesapeake. My loftiest ambition for the foreseeable future would be doing the ICW to head to the Bahamas.

Right now my list consists solely of the Mariner 32 ketch. Any additions you guys can make to this list would be greatly appreciated!
Since the water you sail are relatively thin, how bout a Clearwater 35 or Presto 35, both shallow draft(under three feet with board up) boats and the Presto is ketch rigged as well! And both easily have the "legs" to do the jump to the Great Bahama Banks! PS, the Bahama's are very thin water, and beware the "yellow heads"!

·
S/V Rocinante-Pearson 33
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Oh. I guess I misunderstood this part:

;)
Actually, if price where no object, you could have Mr. Perry design a boat that you describe. I assume you mean that you don't need to limit yourself to the cheapest productions boats?
Yes. As in if a boat is $5K I can grab it now. If it happens to be $20K I am happy to hear about it and am willing to wait until that is doable. So I mean budget isn't an issue within reason. It is safe to assume that if I could afford Mr. Perry's design that I would not be here asking for suggestions, I would be talking to Mr. Perry to design one for me!

·
19,488 Posts
Here's a few to consider:

Fuji 35 (in addition to the aforementioned 32) - Classic Alden ketch (draft 5'?)
Freedom 33/35 - Cat ketch (draft 4')
Hallberg Rassy Rasmus - Proven affordable bluewater cruiser w/ a big engine (draft 4'3")
Fisher 35/30 - Pilothouse ketch! (draft 4'9")
Cheoy Lee Offshore 33 - Classic CL Hong Kong cruiser (draft 4')
Nauticat 33 - Pilothouse motorsailor ketch (draft 5'1")
Westerly 33 - UK boat, maybe tough to find in US
O'Day 32 - Homely but affordable
Allied Seawind 32 - Popular and proven Gillmer design (also see Seawind 30)
Mariner 31/32/35 - Japanese/Taiwan built. The 32 is from shares a hull mold w/ the Fuji 32
Cape Dory 30 - Full keel, short waterline Alberg design

Sounds like you've researched the pros/cons of ketch rigs, but I still recommend reading Bob Perry's perspective on split rigs.
... and just when I was going to say finding ketches in that size range is going to be tough!! ;)

If you like the ketch rig maybe you'll LOVE the schooner?

LAZY JACK SCHOONER sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com

·
S/V Rocinante-Pearson 33
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Freedom isn't free
3,118 Posts
Honestly, I'm more performance oriented, but would want some cruising ability... not nearly a ketch, but it'd be a hoot to own... The Beneteau 305. Of course I'd consider a J35 as well. Anything slower than those 2 and I'd likely be bored.

So yeah it's a personal preference thing.

I've made honest suggestions to people in the past in threads like this... and someone always gets on the Mac 26X bandwagon.... I thought I'd just get it out of the way quickly. In hopes of getting some real answers for you quicker.

·
Old enough to know better
4,346 Posts
I have seen photos of a Tartan 34 in a Ketch version (a member here and on Anything sailing had one), one nice thing is that they used the standard sloop rig and added the mizzen onto it, so you will not be missing anything if you just throw up a jib and main. It is a pretty boat, but then again I am a fan of the Tartan 34 but it is pretty cramped down below for a 34 footer.

There is also the Offshore 33 that was offed in a Cat Ketch, pretty good looking boat. I enjoyed the few times I was out on one. Very livable cabin below as well. They are quite reasonable price wise and seem well built.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts