SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Hauled a 27 Nor'sea from New York to TN. Her and the trailer was around 10,500 pounds so I suspect you will need at least a 3/4 ton for this boat. There are commercial boat movers, you might give them a ring for a budgetary cost.

Reactions: LaPoodella

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hauled a 27 Nor'sea from New York to TN. Her and the trailer was around 10,500 pounds so I suspect you will need at least a 3/4 ton for this boat. There are commercial boat movers, you might give them a ring for a budgetary cost.
Thanks, Moving her in the states is easy, taking her through 5 Central American countries is the challenge. Doubt many haulers are willing to do this considering all that is going on.

·
One of None
Hunter 34
8,843 Posts
This boat have some special value or significance? for what it would cost it wouldn't even be worth the trouble.

Is it even seaworthy? Has it been surveyed? Insured? Blue water capable? Running gear? Running rigging? engine? Who is paying the fee flights customs inspections dealing with authorities and different countries work permits? Proof of ownership hailing port destination port?

I don't even know what's required so all the above is a just a guess of what people are wondering.

·
One of None
Hunter 34
8,843 Posts

·
Master Mariner
9,286 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, May is the beginning of the Eastern Pacific hurricane season. Many rake the western coasts of central America. Find some pilot charts of the areas you expect to be traveling through.
Personally, I'd not want more than 2 aboard that boat, and even consider single handing her. With the outboard rudder, building a trim tab vane gear would give you the best possible vane gear for the least money.

Reactions: garymalmgren

·
Old enough to know better
4,349 Posts
Maybe half that if you had good weather the whole way. If you stop for a rest, or weather, or whatever, it will take longer. I know almost nothing about that coast. Are there many places to duck in south of Baja?
half that would be going hull speed the entire way. I think 60 days would be pushing it. it would not be hard to believe 90 days on that small of a boat.

·
Administrator
Beneteau 393
9,209 Posts
San Francisco to Costa Rica is 2,900 nms. @ 4 knots = 30 days.
I don't have pilot charts or currents for that area easily accessible.
I would not do a straight passage in a 26 footer, but one of the benefits of this passage is one could remain within sight of the coast a lot of the way... ducking in when the weather window closes.
Obviously need satellite weather as they maybe out of cell phone range a lot.
Theres a feeling that it might be a bit difficult to get pro crew just because the size of the boat. Conversely, if could be a great one to single hand if you have the experience and the experience that would allow you to coast-hug in some pretty congested shipping areas. You'd definitly need AIS.
Colorfulness Rectangle Slope Map Font

Broken into 4 or 5 day legs, waiting for weather between each one, might be the best way. That might take a whole season. But, hey, if you're cruising whats wrong with that ? :)

Mark

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Put it on a trailer, tow it to San Diego then sail from there to Costa Rica .

Reactions: Lanealoha

·
Registered
51 Posts
I think the boat is totally capable (if it's the one in the ad posted) for such a passage. Its the crew that may be weaker :) I think you'd have a good reach most the way and a fair current. You'd better to leave beginning of April to avoid hurricane season. This is May:
Ecoregion World Map Font Atlas

But this is April:
World Map Font Atlas Slope

I'm going the opposite direction in the fall. I envy your passage!!!
Keep well offshore for gulfs Papaguyo and Tehuentapec if you're able to take the trip earlier in the winter especially.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts