SailNet Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just getting into the market for a sailboat and I'm fascinated by the Dufour Arpege. Any info on these boats would be greatly appreciated. I don't see that many for sale on the East Coast.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi...got a 71 last may...gutted it, going to re do interior with a V berth... All electric everything...love the lines on her! I was told she was a fast boat back in the day...don't much care, I'm not in any hurry...gonna retire September 2018 and sail outta this country...I don't have much info and have been looking myself, but not much luck...let me know how you make out in your search
[email protected]

·
Anarchist in Exile
167 Posts
I had a friend that a 27, and then an Arpege. He loved them both. I remember both them them being under canvassed, so life in a light air venue might suck. Woodwork below was great, with tons and tons of little clever storage areas.

The page and vid is interesting, if in swedish....

Interesting Sailboats: video: DUFOUR 30 ARPEGE VERSUS DUFOUR 310GL

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Congrats Randy!! Wish I was retiring in 2018 and sailing out of the country but I have a LONG way to go before that day. I will keep you posted on my search.

·
Registered
136 Posts
As former Dufour Dealer ( Sold quite a few boats in North America), I know owners of the "infamous" Arpege. I will put the word out regarding a potentially interested "Buyer".

The Arpege was built like a tank. It is strong, reliable and a very good sailing vessel. Dufour built over 1500 of these reputable models till the late 70's. I met many owners at various boat shows, many of whom had stories to tell about how well this boat did in their voyages off-shore in some rather undesirable weather.

To this day, Dufour makes a truly outstanding boat, of course and unfortunately, remains much more popular in other regions of the world than in the USA. Nevertheless, I would put a Dufour up against any production boat, especially Beneteau types in superior quality, craftsmanship, fit and finish and can we talk "sailing" which is what the boats are really all about.

I have nothing to do with the brand at the moment as it is hard to make a living marketing and selling a superior boat with very little market share. Maybe someday when the company decides to truly take the market in North America seriously.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Bluesmoods............you sound pretty knowledgeable about sailboats. Is there any way to send you an e-mail?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Horace,

We've got a 71 Arpege here in southern Maine. Have had it about 5 years and got it from the original owner. We think it is a great boat and am happy to answer any questions you have about it.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Fmueller...........What do you like about the boat compared to "modern" boats? Also, what problems, if any, have you had with the boat that you think I may want to look out for when buying. The biggest concern that I have with one of the boats I'm looking at is the age of the engine. Otherwise, everything I have read and heard say it is a great boat.

·
HANUMAN
2,836 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Thanks Fmueller...........What do you like about the boat compared to "modern" boats? Also, what problems, if any, have you had with the boat that you think I may want to look out for when buying. The biggest concern that I have with one of the boats I'm looking at is the age of the engine. Otherwise, everything I have read and heard say it is a great boat.
What I like best... is that it is paid for .

I don't have a ton of direct experience on 'modern' sailboats from the last decade or so, but frankly i find the majority of the pizza slice shaped new sailboats to leave something to be desired aesthetically.

I'm sure they are delightful for entertaining and luxurious down below, but we find our Arpege is really wonderful, sturdy, reliable and yet not sluggish boat. It is not necessarily luxurious, but has everything we need and is great for our young family.

The only problem I'd watch out for might be soft spots in the cored deck (not unique to the arpege by any means). We are generally in good shape that way on deck but definitely have soft spots in the cockpit which we will need to address eventually.

Good luck. Have fun.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

1 - 15 of 15 Posts