SailNet Community banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all!

I recently found a 27' Hunter cherubini for sale that had a lot of work done to it. New rigging, new sails, new gel coat, interior re-done, pretty much the guy got it ready to take out, then retired and moved.

He only wants 7k for it and for me to "get it the heck off the dock, he's trying to sell the house!"

Well this seems like a great deal to me, as I'm looking for a small liveaboard for a single person. However I figured I'd ask on here if there's anyone down on the Atlantic side of FL that had an eye to the market and knew of any better deals!

edit* Just to clarify, I actually dont care WHERE the boat is as long as it's on the ocean or has easy access to. I have never sailed before, and have friends and family in FL willing to teach me. However if anyone knows of an amazing deal near them under 10k that wants to take a fledgeling under wing...haha I am not tied to any one location!

·
Freedom isn't free
3,136 Posts
A 27 hunter as a live aboard? GASP... wait I retract that.. it's WAY nicer than my first apartment, and rental house... Actually that'd been like the Ritz compared to my first house.

$7k? it's a throw away. If it floats and everything works... sounds like a bargain.

We are in the hayday of buyers market right now.. seen some crazy nice boats for sail lately, cheap.

·
Swab
825 Posts
A 27 hunter as a live aboard? GASP... wait I retract that.. it's WAY nicer than my first apartment, and rental house... Actually that'd been like the Ritz compared to my first house.
Hunters, being seemingly designed by the marketing (And accounting) departments, have pretty decent looking accommodations. Cost cutting in manufacturing, and design requirements of the sales and marketing people, however, have made Hunters, and a lot of other boats on the market today, less than ideal (Being kind) for heavy use offshore.

$7k? it's a throw away. If it floats and everything works... sounds like a bargain.
This is a Hunter 27. I would still look at it very closely.

We are in the hayday of buyers market right now.. seen some crazy nice boats for sail lately, cheap.
Could be.

·
Shannon 43
1 Posts
Look at it close with some exsperianced help , it's probably worth 7 k to learn to sail with it and all about issues , look at yacht world . Com for others. .... Sell it later when you become informed about more salboats.

·
Possibly improving
120 Posts
I spent $8,000 on a 27' O'day a couple of years ago. It isn't much to look at but I learned to sail on it, take it out all of the time and really enjoy being on it. I feel like I've gotten more than my money's worth already. It sounds like a good deal to me. Go for it!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Our first sailboat was a 30' 1981 Hunter. She was about 26 years old when we got her. We paid about $12,000. She was the absolutely perfect boat to learn on. As long as there are no holes in her hull and her motor runs I'd say you have yourself a bargain and the perfect learning boat. We did cross with her quite often. These were our general sailing grounds:

Is this where you're looking to sail also?

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
I'm with the guy who said that if it floats and is in decent shape, it's a good deal. A 27' boat for 7K even in this market is a good deal. One caveat, I don't think there's such a thing as "new gel-coat". Gel coat is applied as the first layer of the hull before layup. There are products that can restore some of it's original shine, but for the most part, once it's gone, it's gone. About all you can do in those circumstances is live with the chalky, dull finish, or paint it.

·
Asleep at the wheel
3,016 Posts
You have to be careful with Hunters that claim to be "Cherubini." Cherubini didn't design all of Hunter's boats when he was there (I forget the exact dates now, but late-1970's to mid-1980's, if I recall correctly). And there were production issues with the non-Cherubini boats during his tenure. The ones that he actually designed and oversaw, though, were supposedly pretty decent boats, especially for the money. I had done the research on them 2-3 years ago, so I don't recall off the top of my head whether the 27 was a Cherubini or not. Just because it isn't a Cherubini doesn't mean it's a bad boat, either - at that age it's as much about how the PO kept her as how she was originally built. If she's in good shape with newer equipment, $7,000 might be a good deal.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well the guy called me drunk, then never ever sent me the photos! So I dont know about that hunter, haha. I'm gonna do some eyes on the ground shopping in the keys, anyone from that area?

·
Registered
661 Posts
Finding one under 30' for less than 10K will be easy. Take your time and you will find a deal in this market

1 - 13 of 13 Posts