SailNet Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Herreshoff/Vaitses Meadowlark
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My standing rigging is shot, and I'm looking to replace it with Dyneema. I've been sifting through the various decisions concerning sizing, termination, etc.

One thing I haven't yet figured out is chafe protection where the shrouds go through the spreaders. I'm assuming I'll need something, but what?

Wood Office ruler Line Material property Gas

The slot in the end of the spreader is 1/4". My Dyneema fits in that fine, but not seeing a lot of space.

I was thinking I would run the Dyneema through vinyl tubing, but the smallest that the Dyneema will fit through won't fit in the slot.

I could, of course, have Colligo build something custom, but their prices are beyond what I can afford.

Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
I recently went synthetic with my standing rigging (Dux) for my Pearson 419 ketch. It was prepared by Colligo. John Franta, who pretty much wrote the book and I believe founded Colligo, recommended to me that the ends be very smooth and that I wrap the shroud from 2" above to 2" below the spreader end with cloth sail tape. He also said I should have booties on the spreader ends - found those on amazon (not the cheap plastic kind, but substantial). BTW, check out their website. There are a number of pictures that show different circumstances and they also create bespoke spreader ends, if needed.

Ricky

·
Registered
Herreshoff/Vaitses Meadowlark
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I like the idea of wrapping more than I do of inserting the line into a tube of some sort, because I'd not be able to replace the tube without unsplicing one of the eye thimbles.

One nice thing on my boat is that the masts are on turnbuckles, and I can raise and lower them single-handed, using the on-board winch. It's pretty easy for me to inspect and replace regularly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts