SailNet Community banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.

Our autohelm died just at the end of the season

It died once before as in this thread in 2011 http://www.sailnet.com/forums/electronics/80139-autohelm-4000-wheel-pilot-mix-max.html

We were fortunate to be able to have it refurbed and get a few more years out of the old Autohelm 4000 but I think it is all over now. :(

I am looking to get a new one before we launch again next Spring.

We have a 1985 Tartan 34. We have no modern electronics so don't need anything fancy to hook to a plotter etc.

All I want is something reliable to use as an extra deck hand while hoisting sails, motoring or sailing in light/moderate conditions. I don't want to spend a ton of money on the hardware or install. Ideally it wouldn't be a big power hog either.

Suggestions welcomed.

Thanks!

dergon

·
Bill SV Rangatira
421 Posts
Hi all.

It died once before as in this thread in 2011 http://www.sailnet.com/forums/electronics/80139-autohelm-4000-wheel-pilot-mix-max.html

We were fortunate to be able to have it refurbed and get a few more years out of the old Autohelm 4000 but I think it is all over now. :(

We have a 1985 Tartan 34. We have no modern electronics so don't need anything fancy to hook to a plotter etc.

All I want is something reliable to use as an extra deck hand while hoisting sails, motoring or sailing in light/moderate conditions. I don't want to spend a ton of money on the hardware or install. Ideally it wouldn't be a big power hog either.

Suggestions welcomed.

Thanks!

dergon
go the no power option and get a windvane

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Hi all.

Suggestions welcomed.

Thanks!

dergon
There is no smartness/logic built into the drive unit, only two power cables +&-.
So you can use later models from Raymarine
Maybe you can find other makes that could be used, just make sure that the drive unit is not consuming more power than the "brain" can deliver.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@denise030 -Not the plastic piece this time (although that's what went the last time). Electronics and a funny little smell at the time it went. I'm calling it dead.

@white74 -Not looking to go the windvane route ... but maybe some day.

@ knuterikt - Which "later models" of Raymarine? Do they have a good old fashioned helm mounted unit?

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
@ knuterikt - Which "later models" of Raymarine? Do they have a good old fashioned helm mounted unit?
I don't know all the wheel models Raymarine have made but I would think that you could use the SPX-5 wheel drive unit with your old "brain"

The drive unit is only a DC motor with a clutch and a belt system to turn the wheel.

It's the "brain" that does all the control of the drive unit.

·
One of None
Hunter 34
9,026 Posts
Dergon.. is there a chance the steering has more friction/resistence then the AP can handle? I ask because I found the supporting plywood under my Cpit floor binding on the quadrant only by accident one day. proped it up and the steering wheel can turn with the touch of a feather now. (well not really, but it's very easy now)

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Hey,

IMHO you really only have two choices for an 'inexpensive' autopilot: Raymarine makes the 'evolution' line which includes the EV 100 wheel pilot. As you listed above, CPT has the belt driven Autopilot.

Last year I was looking for a pilot for my boat and I decided on the Raymarine unit. I wanted a pilot that would integrate with my existing electronics so I could steer to a course heading, wind angle or to a waypoint. The EV 100 does all that and was pretty easy to install and integrate. The price of the complete unit is around $1300 when on sale (and it's on sale all the time).

My boat, at 36' and 10K lbs, is right at the upper limit of the EV 100 specs. The pilot works great in light conditions. As the weather gets worse, the pilot starts to struggle to maintain the heading. If I reduce sail area and otherwise keep the helm balances, the pilot does better.

Good luck,
Barry

·
Registered
180 Posts
Have you ever considered a CPT wheel pilot... I have never used one but haven't heard a bad thing about the recent model (last 5 years). They are supposed to just sip power. I plan to buy it for a backup..

Not super cheap, but not super expensive either..

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
Mount a tiller pilot to your wheel. We will be.
Its not hard to do, and you can use the raymarine st2000+.
We have an alpha 3000, but will have this as our primary, and the alpha as backup.

At $600 you cant go wrong.
A tillerpilot rated for 10K displacement coupled to the wheel of a 48-footer probably displacing 3X that amount ? Good luck with that...

So, that's the setup that's gonna take you to Antarctica, huh? Hmmm, better bring several along...

:))

·
Schooner Captain
2,199 Posts
A tillerpilot rated for 10K displacement coupled to the wheel of a 48-footer probably displacing 3X that amount ? Good luck with that...

So, that's the setup that's gonna take you to Antarctica, huh? Hmmm, better bring several along...

:))
A mechanical engineer you are not.
Yes, rated for 10,000# tiller driven boat.
My boat is not tiller driven and has a mechanical advantage.
It works just fine on the other boats with them,
Whiller Pilot R&D | SV Dawn Treader's Adventures
Sorry to say I did not come up with the idea first.

Edit whiller pilot, lol

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.