SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't find much info on the EDEL 665 in English on the web. I know they were made in France and Canada. How do they sail? How many people could comfortably go out for weekend cruise? Are they fast, stable...
I am looking at buying one as a first sail boat and any info would be appreciated.

·
19,489 Posts
They are a pretty little boat. But these numbers:

Specifications for the Edel 665

LOA 21.8 ft. LOD 21.8 ft.
LWL 18.2 ft. Beam 8.2 ft.
Draft 3.2 ft. Displaces 3,484 lbs.
Ballast 882 lbs. Mast Height 29.8 ft.
Sail Area 211.0 sq. ft.

Performance Indicators

D/L 258 B/D 25 % SA/D 14.7
Comfort 16.2 Capsize 2.17 L/B 2.7

.. indicate a pretty heavy boat for its size. With a Cat 22 at 2500#, Oday 222 at 2200#, Tanzer 22 at 2900 all with similar sail area this makes the Edel look a bit overweight - which will affect boat speed to a degree in certain conditions. The other stats don't point to exhilarating performance either.

However if you're not racing, this could be a comfy cruiser in that size range though probably tender with only a 25% ballast ratio. The layout is a bit unconventional with what appears to be a single forward rather than a V berth but the main salon seems to make into a decent double.

Here's a bunch of links with pics and data (you've probably seen these already)

edel 665 sailboat - Google Search

I've not sailed one and am just going by the "numbers' but do recall a fairly nice fit and finish when they were new. Not many around either, but I'm assuming you've found one locally?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Im confused

:confused: The info I have found states the boat weight at 2,403 Lbs and with a ballast of of 882 Lbs over 1/3 of the boat weight. How does the displacement affect that? I assume with a displacement of 3,403 Lbs the boat could carry 1000Lbs of people and gear.
I believe there were about 900 made but most of the info is in French not one of my stronger subjects.
I would not be racing more weekend cruising the Gulf Islands and Howe Sound.
I did find one locally and the boat comes with a trailer and appears to be in really good condition. I want a boat that can easily be sailed and can accomodate a couple of people for weekend cruises.

·
19,489 Posts
You're right, other sites show a much more likely displacement around 2400 lbs which is more in line with the others.... sorry about that.

·
Registered
7,855 Posts
I found a spec sheet (from the original brochure) that states displacement of 3400+ with an empty weight os 2403. Water ballast possibly? I can find no mention of it though.
Brian

Attachments

·
19,489 Posts
I found a spec sheet (from the original brochure) that states displacement of 3400+ with an empty weight os 2403. Water ballast possibly? I can find no mention of it though.
Brian
Yes, that's strange... from that era water ballast would be unlikely, I'd expect, but it's unlike the manufacturers to list a loaded displacement, so maybe that's with full tanks and crew??

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No water Ballast

There is no water ballast system on this boat. The extra 1000Lbs must be the rated carrying capacity or just a typo...
I went and looked at the boat yesterday it is in very good shape. There is some kind of delamination or something happening around the forward hatch. There doesn't appear to be any soft spots on the deck.
It has a single point lift system for launching with a crane so the owner doesn't need to keep the boat in the water. Nice feature! It also comes with a trailer but the trailer does't have breaks so it is really only good for moving it around the marina.
I am having trouble deciding on this boat, it is a sexy looking boat but quite small below decks...
Decisions, decisions...:confused:

·
19,489 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Welcome, I currently own a 1981 Edel 665 Great little boat. We have sailed with out family of 5 comfortably. 2 adults and 3 teenage boys, by oldest is 6'3" 230lb, similar to myself. We get around the boat ok, inside can be a little cramped, but we manage. Overnight trip once with everyone on boat, that was a little cozy, but with the wife and I it is just fine. Our total weight would be in the 950lb range. Noticed the difference at motor, but at sail she was fine.

We did have 8 people on board once for a fireworks deal 2 little ones, just motored out and floated to watch. That was a little low on the waterline but it was fine.

I have the original brochure I can scan a copy for you if you would like.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I can't send you a PM yet I don't have enough posts. Apparently you need 5 posts before you can PM other members. I would love to see the brochure, can it be posted here?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, I am also an Edel665 owner (1980). I am in hopes to clear a few issues with this thread. First the empty weight is as the brochure states, 2,403 lb. This is all gear it was sold with (cushions,anchor,sails,PFD's,mast and boom,running and standing rigging),no motor. Put the boat in the water and it will displace 2403 pounds of water (physical law.) The displacement of 3,484 lb, is Maurice Edel's Design displacement. Thus 3484-2403=1081 lb, is needed to bring the hull (sink) down to the intended water line, so that the boat will sail with its designed "wetted surface". This is why the Edel665 should not be sailed at no more than 12 degrees heal, because more than that puts more boat in the water. We Yank's distorted the the displacement figures of sailboats for obscure reasons, and thus the ambiguity about how much a sailboat weighs under full crew and gear. If I were an dishonest sailor , I could handicap my boat at 3484, and win the coarse every time.

·
Registered
7,855 Posts
Displacement of a boat on the spec sheet is usually the "designed displacement" and doesn't include the driver, his guests or loose gear unless stated otherwise. The Edel spec sheet is the only one I've ever seen done in that unique way.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I believe the intent was to convey to buyers of the edel665, that this could easily be a "trailer sailor". By knowing the empty weight of the boat, the weight of the trailer, the owner could know if his towing vehicle was capable,as well as not exceeding GVW ratings. I had my edel665 craned off a trailer by the single cable lifting hook in the keel, and the crane scaled it at 2800, its bilges were full of frozen water.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Edel Performance

I have a 1981 665. Great boat. I have sailed in 30 knot winds with the second reef in and a small jib to keep her balanced. No problem. When overpowered she rounds up and you can just let the sheet out to keep her going. One nice thing about this boat is that you can still handle the sheets in big wind. Everything is right there by the tiller (mainsheet, jib sheet). I have had this boat surfing at 9mph on the GPS with wind on the stern quarter. She performs best loaded (wl length) and sailed at 10-15 degrees. Just keep the weight out of the ends. I upgraded to standing headroom (pearson 31-2), no twofootitis here. My 665 is for sale in Ontario.

·
Registered
37 Posts
While I do not own an Edel, but i have sailed one several different times, We had it doing 6.1-6.6 knots in heavy winds; with the first reef in the main, and a partially roller reefed 150, so they are considerably fast for a 22 footer.

The owner hauls it out seasonally with his 4x4 and a tongue extension right beside his dock. A very slick procedure!

Its one of the most fun sailboats I have ever sailed on (aside from a soling) It points really well and is very stable going upwind.

The cabin is huge compared to other 22's with a smart and functional layout.

The brochure states it sleeps five; my rule of thumb is that you divide this number by 2 to find out how many it will sleep comfortably, in the case of the edel the answer is 3. While it can sleep 5 in a pinch, you would be crazy to do this.

Adam

Here is a collection of Edel 665 pictures:

Flickr: AdamHowie's Photostream

·
Registered
695 Posts
My memory may be failing me, OK it is failing me, but I seem to recollect that Tania Aebi whose ad apepars on this page may have sailed one from France to the US or Canada. I remember the boat being on display at the Toronto boat show. Might have been a bigger Edel ?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts