SailNet Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is one for sale near me.I'm trying to get any:) information I can on this model.I.E .does it make an ocean passage boat?What to whach out for in deck and hull etc.thank for any reply.GRA

·
Banned
12,373 Posts
Gra,

We have a third generation C&C MKIII 35 K/C. I have had her for 15 years or so and taken Haleakula from the Chesapeake to N.C, Fla, Mass., NY, this year to Block Island and Mystic

She handles well in the ocean for a 35 foot boat primarily built as a racer/ cruiser. I would say it is a fine boat for a coastal cruiser like we use her. Somewhat light to blue water boats, I would have her rather than the standard production Catalina, Bennetaeu, Hunter boats in a similar footage or even larger. Quality of build of the 70s and 80s C&C is excellent compared to the tartans and Sabres of that era.. Basic equipment on our boat was over sized. A simple example was the jib track which was 11/4 like many larger boats of that era, or the winch sizes.

Watch for the hull and deck as they are balsa cored so if not treated correctly can suffer water intrusion. The gel is thick over the core. The same balsa make them stiff to sail and can handle almost anything thrown at them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Chef. Thanks for your reply.Yes I was looking for a true open ocean boat,and was thinking that the C&C35 was not really it.Thanks again.Gra.

·
ASA and PSIA Instructor
4,119 Posts
G50T - C&C didn't make a model designated 35.5, I assume you mean a 35 mark II whose year would be from '72 to around '78. if so, the Mark III described by Chef2sail is a completely different boat. I personally consider the mark II an excellent, solid design, and although not planned as an ocean cruiser, the boat is capable of long distance use, if you don't need a great deal of storage. I lookede at one 10 years ago that had just finished several yrears of extensive cruising. All in all a wonderful boat, but more packaged as a racer/cruiser or coastal cruiser than an offshore boat.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts