SailNet Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I live about 10 minutes from a decent sized lake (13,900 acres, Lake Jordan
NC) and at least 3.5 hours from the beautiful Albamarle Sound in North Carolina.
So most of my sailing is going to be in what I would call
very light conditions. What I am looking for is a ranking
of sailboats between abou 12 and 18 feet and how ligiht a wind they
can sail in with a little bit of fun thrown in.

These are the boats I have been thinking of, feel free to add your own
along with any comments.

Hobie or other small catamaran
Laser
Force 5
Zuma
AMF Puffer
AMF Sunbird
Any of the O'day day sailers up to 17'
Fireball
International 505

Thanks very much,
Jim Lee

·
Freedom isn't free
2,946 Posts
The 505 and laser are good starts, as there are decent fleets everywhere you can race One design in.

If you just want go fast and don't care about OD... then Try the RS Vision too..
The Sailboat Shop - RS Vision

Am thinking there is more wind on that lake than you think as well. It's certainly big enough for say a tiger, or any larger racing boats too.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
To add some more information I will usually be sailing by myself though I do want to be able too have a passenger from time to time.
And I don't mind getting wet.....except in late Fall when it is very cold and the lake gets most of its wind. I guess I need to get a wet or dry suit.

Thanks,
Jim Lee

·
SaltwaterSuzi/CapnLarry
609 Posts
If you end up sailing the Albermarle, keep a close eye on the weather. She can get mean. She's shallow and a stiff wind quickly builds up close, sharp waves which echo off shore and come back at you from a different direction.

We've crossed her many times N to S and S to N, from the Pungo out of Elizabeth City (nice town BTW) or from the North River out of Coinjock to the Alligator River. Our boat is 41 feet long and very sturdy, but due to the frequency and confusion of the waves, it can get very uncomfortable. On a small boat, I would venture that it would turn from uncomfortable to dangerous.

·
Banned
649 Posts
You mention some very high performance tricky boats to sail ( ie 5o5 )

A good light air dinghy for newer sailors is a Lido 14

·
Freedom isn't free
2,946 Posts
OD - One Design.

Jim Lee - the guy who said wait that's me - on "That other board" Jim Lee, is the name of the gentleman who designed and sells the "Left Coast Dart." That's a helluva fast, well laid out boat. I think his design has hit on everything a person might want in a trailerable racer/cruiser, with modern design. I really hope he sells a ton of them.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Thistle is a great light air boat. Old boats are still competitive on the race course and hold their value. Thistleclass.com for used boats....

·
Banned
649 Posts
Thistles ARE great light air boats, but so is a Lehman 12

Neither are easy boats to sail and with their round hulls easily capsize.

Lido14.com is a good start

·
Registered
551 Posts
I am partial to the oday daysailor, i had one long ago and it is a fine boat for both light and heavy air on a lake. I have sailed one in 20-25kts....was fun. Cockpit was nicely sized for 4 adults.
you may also look into a flat bottom design, sharpie or similar, for the shallow draft. these can be fun and fast!

Good luck

1 - 10 of 10 Posts